Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416C Backhoe Electrical Issue??

DirtyHands ยท 2024-10-14 14:59

Having trouble with my Cat backhoe 416C Serial #1WR09267 Started out not shifting into gear-when moving shifter on steering column. Had no problem starting engine. Now I can't get engine to start. When I turn the key the relay clicks under the steering wheel but nothing else. I did get it to start a couple of times but it would not move. I feel like the neutral button is stuck or something is open somewhere. Looking under the machine I found these two solenoids with broken wires but they are on the hydraulic control valves and the look like they have been off for a while-dirty and no shiny wires. Are they needed to complete a circuit. Batteries are good, not the problem.

Replies5
  1. #1Mechanic_Caterpillar2024-10-16 02:16

    From the ignition key to the transmission switch there is an orange wire 307, for starting. From the transmission switch to the starter relay there is a green wire 306. From the starter relay to the solenoid relay on the starter itself there is a white wire 304. If the transmission switch is not in neutral or is faulty, the engine will not start. If the relay clicks, then you need to check the white wire 304 from the relay to the starter, it may be broken. But it often happens that the transmission switch is faulty, try moving it during starting.

  2. #2Nige2024-10-16 04:35

    Check your message inbox for an electrical schematic.

  3. #3DirtyHands2024-10-19 08:29

    Thank you dmitry. I pressed the neutral button on the transmission gear selector and held it in and it started and I was able to move it. Thank you for the info. I will let you know outcome but it's going to be a few weeks before I have time to get back to it.

  4. #4DirtyHands2024-10-19 08:32

    Thank you Nige. I will keep you updated when I get a chance to work on it. Much appreciated!!

  5. #5DirtyHands2024-11-03 17:48

    Faulty neutral switch on the transmission gear selector was the problem. The spring broke through the bottom of the switch. Thank you all for your help.