I have a John Deere 410J TC with an open cab. Unfortunately, with all my other tractors it is too long to fit in my barn. So my question is, here in Ohio, we get a lot of rain and some snow/slush every winter, what is the best way to protect this machine while sitting outside? It wont be used much during the winter. I could tarp the entire thing, but I have been warned that that will trap moisture under the tarp and not really help much. And I know most people leave them out without any issue. My concern is with this having all the extra electronic bits of the TC system, how do I keep water and moisture out as much as possible? Do they make a cover that goes just over the cab portion? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks
Also in Ohio, I put a bucket over my exhaust, but have a closed cab. Then I spent a buttload of money on a barn that would fit it. I would think tarp would be fine over the cab but maybe a vent or two to let air flow through. I wouldn't say I know what I'm talking about though...
2 of my machines are living outdoors for now. This time of year I worry more about furry little creatures than anything else. I have scented bags I place in areas that would really suck if the wires were munched. I also have some spray that I put on wires. Don't like the machines being outside, but at this point it is a fact of life. Maybe a plastic tub over the critical instrument area of the machine??
Steel wool and a coffee can over the exhaust, good canvas tarp (northern tool) to cover the seat and controls and keep airflow underneath. Could give the exposed chrome a shot of fluid film to keep any rust at bay.
A couple of glue traps with a dab of peanut butter in the center of them is what I use with great results. Anchor the trap to a small board. I use a nail in the center of it to hold it. I had a trapped mouse walk away with a trap once. Lucky for me that I found it before it started rotting.
My luck in the first hour I'd catch 2 mice, three squirrels, a fishercat and a bear, then what do you do.