Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 416C backhoe fuel guage not working

andy3882 ยท 2012-07-18 20:44

I have a cat 416c backhoe that the fuel guage does not work. Almost 99% of the time the fuel guage just doesn't move at all it sits way below the empty reading. Once in a while while operating i'll look over and the needle is bouncing from empty to full. I've checked that the fuse is not blown (fuse is good) and that i have power at the guage. I have not recieved my service manual yet and was just wondering if anyone could help me trouble shoot it. How would i go about checking the guage and sending unit for proper operation. Thanks in advance. This forum/board has been a wealth of information i have learned so much from it already. Andy Machine has 3500 hrs .....Also the rear brakes squeak something awfull with light pressure.

Replies3
  1. #1DMoline2012-07-18 20:58

    Could be a bad sending unit in the tank. The float arm wears out the windings.

  2. #2d9gdon2012-07-19 00:06

    The rear brake squeak can be fixed by going to your New Holland dealer and getting the additive that they use in their backhoe. The same company built the rear ends for both rigs, I seem to remember. Carlisle Company maybe? Can't remember.

  3. #3Deon2012-07-19 06:45

    Fuel gauge ground wire could be bad. If you can find the plate on top of the fuel tank, try a temporary ground wire and check your gauge.