I have a cat 416c with what I believe is an electrical issue. The four wheel drive has been intermittently not working go to start messing with and and starts again. At this point I have 12.4 volts to the solenoid on the transfer case. The other wire, is it supposed to be ground/return? At this time the second wire is dead. Also there is exposed wire were they go into the solenoid. How do you remove the solenoid? There is only one large nut on the back of it.
I have a 416c and the 4wd stopped working completely. Come to find out the fuse behind the steering column was blown. Doubt that's your problem though since it works intermittently.
The other wire is a ground and attach's to a bellhousing bolt at the upper right area. To remove the coil from the solenoid remove the nut and the coil should slide off. The coil gets power from the AWD select switch and that gets it from fuse #10. The coil should be 10.5 ohms.
Thank you Lee-online bad ground. Tractor is back making money.