Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4500 Ford tlb Shuttle Shift

gammer ยท 2011-04-16 09:54

Any Shuttle Shift experts out there?? I'm only a newbe to this I have a 1973 4500 Ford, I was running it one day and noticed it was sluggish, it needed more fuel to get it to move, I shut it down and about a hour later started it up again scooped some dirt and started to go dump it when it stopped and wouldn't move any more, and the shuttle shift was stuck in neutral, and the tranny started leaking where the plate was on the tranny. I used the hoe to get it back in the yard, I also noticed that even with the engine off the shuttle shift would not move. I took the valve block off and removed the two blocker valves, the shuttle moved no problem when removed, so I installed everything and the shuttle would not move, with the engine running or not. I Removed the high pressure line off to check & see what it had for pressure, there wasn't a drop of fluid came out:idontgetit. I also checked line pressure at the tranny cooler with the same result, not a drop. My problem is beside the obvious. What do I change the Torque & pump and what else, seals, and where would a good place be to gather these parts, I live in Canada in Nova Scotia.... Thanks for the input!!!

Replies6
  1. #1gammer2011-04-21 18:37

    Must be in the wrong fourm

  2. #2gammer2011-04-25 20:41

    pics I tried to upload some pic's but is says file too large, 4.8 mb wow that sucks!!! :drinkup:drinkup:drinkup:drinkup

  3. #3Tinkerer2011-04-26 07:40

    Here Is a link to a thread about how to post photos. .

  4. #4shopteacher 12011-04-27 22:59

    Hey Gammer, I have the exact same TLB. When was the last time the fluid and filter were changed? Hopefully Mitch or old house hugger will see this and respond, as they are more knowledgeable than i am on . John

  5. #5mitch5042011-04-28 01:06

    I'm thinking, sounds like a valve problem, or an internal leak. I'll look in my some books tomorrow, but I wouldn't assume it's in the torque convertor, and I sure wouldn't buy any parts till I was sure of the problem

  6. #6gammer2011-05-02 21:02

    transmission tks, guys for the input, what a job ya go through to upload pics! Anywho, the torque converter is a mess, drive plate ??? what can I say, it's amazing what ppl will do to get something to work instead of spending a couple of bucks. Took the pump apart as well, I will get some more pics later :beerchug:beerchug:drinkupook