Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416c help!!

Plan B ยท 2011-06-10 16:54

Im trying to find a break down of a steering cylinder on this machine its not really a cylinder cause its built into the front axle housing. If anyone can help me out with this ASAP!!! i would really appreciate it!!

Replies24
  1. #1Plan B2011-06-10 18:02

    Or if someone can explain to me how it comes apart that would be good too. Right now the tierod end is froze up on the left side making it hard to get the tie rod off. Im planning on putting some heat on it to get it freed up but once ive got that off then what? Ive got the nut off the left side and the snap ring off the right side but cant tell if the whole thing slides out the left or the right or if each end comes out. Any info would be appreciated.

  2. #2JeremiahSr2011-06-10 18:55

    here it is i put it in the wrong discussion before, hehe. a little blurry but it should give u tha idea

  3. #3Lee-online2011-06-10 19:02

    To remove the cylinder assy, remove the spanner nut and push the cylinder out from that end. To disassemble, remove the snap ring, drive the end cap in. This will then give you access to a retaining ring. remove this ring and pull out the rod and end cap.

  4. #4Plan B2011-06-10 20:40

    So i push the end with the spanner nut in and the cylinder comes out the right side?Right? Thanks for the info!!

  5. #5Lee-online2011-06-10 21:18

    Yes, the spanner nut holds the cylinder in the axle housing.

  6. #6Plan B2011-06-11 13:06

    Well the cylinder didnt want to come out so i pulled the rod and piston out and replaced all the seals with the cylinder still in the housing.Had a hard time getting tierod ends off but it all worked out. Thanks again!

  7. #7gaynojm2011-08-01 15:00

    Follow-on question - Cat 416C IT - leaking front steering cylinder. I'm a newbie - first backhoe, fixing things as we go. Steering cylinder is leading at outboard ends. No nicks, dents. I have had difficultly getting hydraulic fluid level correct - try to keep the machine level and loader in down position - but may have overfilled. Sight glass was empty - then too full! Probabaly no more than 1 gal. Could overfill blow-out the seals? Easy or difficult fix ? Looks like access from the large 'spanner" type nuts on outer end of steering cylinder. advise appreciated.

  8. #8Lee-online2011-08-01 18:19

    If the steer cylinder is leaking then the seals are worn or cut. overfilling the tank has nothing to do with it leaking. to check the hyd oil, park on flat ground, put the front bucket flat on the ground. stow the hoe away, boom up on the lock, stick in, bucket curled closed and stow the stabilizers up. Now check the oil. Your cylinder will come apart like mentioned above.

  9. #9gaynojm2011-08-02 13:19

    Thanks - That is how I did teh sight glass check. Maybe not quite level enough. Steering Cylinder leak - I'll get the parts and give it a go. Spanner nuts - can i use a hammer and drift and tap them loose or special wrench?

  10. #10Oldcraneguy2011-08-02 19:36

    Hey plan B, if you need part #s lemme know got my book right here....Oh BTW Im Don, new to the forum...Howdy all

  11. #11Oldcraneguy2011-08-02 20:10

    I have a quick question while I got some Cat people around, what oil does my 416C take in the rear? One fella says run motor oil in everything, another says gear oil in the rear and motor oil in everything else. I got parts book but no service manual....thanks ...OCG

  12. #12Lee-online2011-08-02 20:20

    MTO oil. It takes 5 gallons. If you experience brake noise (chatter) add Ford 25-1403 oil additive or add two pints of New Holland 970-6315 oil additive or add 150 mL (5.1 oz) of 197-0017 Cat Axle and Brake Oil Additive to the rear axle. We always add the additive when we change the oil.

  13. #13Oldcraneguy2011-08-02 20:31

    MTO? is that motor oil?....ocg

  14. #14Lee-online2011-08-02 20:41

    Multipurpose Tractor Oil http://www.toromontcat.com/pdf/MultipurposeTractor.pdf You should be able to get an equivalent at TSC.

  15. #15bigbob2011-08-08 19:12

    Cat has used a Ford/New Holland rear end in my 420D IT, it calls for the same oil. You should order a copy of the operating maintenance manual from your local Cat dealer. Give them your serial number on the machine to make sure you get the proper manual. Lot cheaper for the book than a costly rebuild!

  16. #16gaynojm2011-10-20 21:33

    fellas, I am pulling my steering cylinder to replace seals. Like "Plan B" I am having difficulty pulling the cylinder out of the front axle. I have the spanner nut off on the right side and snap ring out on the left. Do you have the drive the cylinder out from the right (spanner nut side) - how much force is acceptable? How do you apply the force? Hammering with Do I access the inner retaining ring by pushing the left side (snap ring side) back inside to reveal the ring?

  17. #17trukerat2014-02-07 05:14

    Hey Don. If you have the diagram for the steering cylinder pictured above I could really use it. its a 96 416C 4x4. Thanks.

  18. #18gaynojm2014-02-15 21:47

    diagrams Just saw your message. if you are not already done I'll look for my figures. I have the type with the steering cylinder inside the front axle. I was able to remove the cylinder so pulled the piston from the spring clip side. replaced the seals and it's been good since. Jon

  19. #19ttazzman2014-03-10 03:26

    did someone ever come up with the diagram.......i have the same issue...parts kit # ? ...thx

  20. #20ttazzman2014-03-10 03:30

    did someone ever come up with the diagram.......i have the same issue...parts kit # ? ...thx gaynojm......i havent started yet how did you get your cylinder out? any suggestions hints on this process?

  21. #21trini_fella2014-03-16 00:51

    All these little tips would really help a newbie like myself as well. Starting fresh with such an intricate piece of equipment is proving to be no small challenge

  22. #22oilslick2017-02-08 11:22

    I am going to attempt to fix my steering cylinder soon, great thread!! I called cat kit #1787189= $180!!!!!! Any chance of going into hydraulic cylinder repair shop with correct seals or just bite the bullet, advice appreciated!

  23. #23backspacer2017-07-07 18:15

    I just ordered the kit #1787189 from http://www.tractorpartsasap.com/ for $104.00

  24. #24oilslick2017-07-11 07:44

    Hey, great,keep us posted how it goes.