Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 416C hoe, wiring diagram – shuttle valve

Doug Reno ยท 2012-03-30 23:54

Hello, I'm a brand new "newbie", so bear with me please. If I do something wrong, just let me know. A shadetree mechanic down here in Mexico decided he could fix a problem with the shuttle valve on our 416C hoe and while I was not there he clipped the wires in the harness, then clipped off the terminal ends at the coils. Nuff said!!! I really need a wiring diagram for this unit so I can apply the proper fix. I have a couple new solenoid coils. It will eliminate hours of wire tracing if I have the color coding for the wires. Other than that, life is good, tequila is great and the days are sunny down here in Ole Mexico!!! Regards, Doug

Replies7
  1. #1DGODGR2012-04-01 00:53

    I suggest that you post the S/N so someone could supply you with the correct schematic.

  2. #2Doug Reno2012-04-02 14:12

    DUH on me - what a good idea. It always helps when people know what you are talking about. Anyway, old machine, in Mexico for a while. This is all I have from what is left of the nameplate 4ZN03418 and 416C. Only other legible number is Arrangement # 120955. A lot of the equipment comes into Mexico as junk/salvage parts so you never really know what you have, that is except a broken machine. I have made some progress. When I checked the fwd/rev switch on the steering column, I discovered that the magnetic coupled switch was not working due to contamination under the magnet. Got that cleaned up so that at least the switch works now. Just as a drill, I found a ground and 12V source to check if I could get the fwd/rev solenoids to operate the shuttle valves. That was successful and at least the machine moves by using a single pole/double throw switch with a center open position. The problem is, after about 10-15 minutes in forward gear it stops working. Checked the solenoids and all is good. Without that schematic, I have no clue what I have done wrong. The solenoids may not be continuous duty type or the system is designed to use 12V to pick up the shuttle valve and the voltage drops to hold it until position. That's all I know about the system without more help from a schematic. I would really like to get the column mounted shift control back in service. I am a 30 year experienced controls specialist but without a schematic, I'm sort of lost. Doug

  3. #3Nige2012-04-02 15:30

    4ZN03418 is your machine Serial Number. The Machine Arrangement (basically the Bill of Materials to assemble the machine) is 120-9551. PM me an e-mail address and I'll send you a copy of the Electrical Schematic in Adobe pdf format, If you're up to speed on controls you shouldn't have too many problems running the necessary diagnostics on it. You'll find that all Cat wiring is identified on the wiring diagram by a wire number and a colour. All pretty straightforward.

  4. #4Big54Al2012-04-11 13:55

    Wiring diagram help Hi, I have a similar problem with wiring due to a fire. The machine is a 416C, 4zn00398, 1209551 arrangement. Can you send me a copy of the schematic also? I use the same name on yahoo

  5. #5Nige2012-04-12 08:15

    You have mail ......

  6. #6Murphy3272012-12-28 09:55

    I just posted a new thread on this issue then saw this thread after the fact!!! could you please send me one also???! my email is [email protected] thank you so much!

  7. #7ArchInc2013-07-19 13:03

    I also need the wiring schematic. If you could send to [email protected] I would greatly appreciate it. Have been trying to find one for days for our 416C S/N 1WR09795