Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416C Rear Axle Seal Replacement

rutwad ยท 2016-12-22 08:02

Well it looks like the rear axle seal has gone out and my friend and I will probably tackle this project (1 of many that need done). How difficult is it to get inside the able housing to "unlock" the axle so we can slide it out? Thanks in advance!!

Replies13
  1. #1kshansen2016-12-22 09:11

    First off a Serial Number would help to avoid incorrect information. I took quick look in SIS and there are 4 different S/N prefixes and in just one there were 3 different S/N ranges shown. Next by "rear axle seal" am I to assume you are talking about the "wheel seal" or is it the "input shaft seal"?

  2. #2rutwad2016-12-22 18:34

    4zn3157. Oil is on inside of rear tire so I am thinking it's the seal near the axle end.

  3. #3kshansen2016-12-22 20:24

    Can't say for sure but this does not look like a simple project. Looks like you may have to remove the axle and differential assembly as a unit then disconnect the axle housing from the differential to get access to what holds the axle shaft in the housing. I will try to attach the disassembly instructions to this message but if it does not work send me a PM and an address to send the file to for you to look. View attachment 416C Backhoe Rear Axle Seal.pdf

  4. #4rutwad2016-12-23 09:07

    You are correct, it does not look as simple as I was hoping. For an old farm backhoe seldom used, I'm not sure what to do. Thank you for the instructions!! I did download them and save.

  5. #5rutwad2017-02-27 11:39

    So I decided to tackle the project myself. So far, it really has not been as bad or difficult as I expected, but I am not completely through with the teardown yet. I still have to get the seemingly immovable bearing from the axle shaft along with the seal. I have heard Ford uses the same axle and parts are much cheaper than Cat. How can I figure out what bearing and seal I need to purchase?

  6. #6alrman2017-03-01 19:11

    @rutwad How is the repair going? Did you get the parts yet? If you pull it down, & get samples, the bearings & seals will be available from a bearing supplier. It will pay to inspect the brakes while you're in there. The serial number you provided seems to be missing a digit?? Yes, it is a New Holland axle assembly.

  7. #7rutwad2017-03-01 19:30

    That bearing gave me fits but finally got it off tonight. I was originally thinking about the brakes as well. I have the left side torn down and brakes always worked good. It was the right side that would continue to apply brakes after releasing pedal. If you didn't stop for 10 minutes to let them release, they would lock tight enough the hoe wouldn't move.

  8. #8rutwad2017-03-02 20:43

    Anyone know the part # for the bearing? There isn't much left of mine.

  9. #9kshansen2017-03-03 07:22

    Not seeing the part you are working on so not positive of which bearing you are referring to, is it the #5 part in this picture? Note that the part number for #5 has the CL by it meaning it is also available as a "Cat Classic". Cat price for the 0301957 is $37.20 where the "Classic" number is 4202502 with a price of $17.52

  10. #10rutwad2017-03-03 10:31

    Yes Sir. The seal #4 was leaking. I could not get the bearing to budge! THANK YOU!

  11. #11rutwad2017-03-06 16:16

    New parts are headed this way now!! Hopefully assembly will go as well as the disassembly did. What fluid is recommended for the rear axle and how much?

  12. #12AllDodge2017-03-06 16:53

    My manual shows 6.2 gallons and add 25-1403 Ford@ rear axle oil additive, do not add to all wheel steer MTO 30W for rear axle HYDO 10W for brakes

  13. #13rutwad2017-03-07 13:59

    Ok Thanks!