I have 1976 6500 backhoe recently I would start it, it would run 10 minutes and stall the last time I started it, it ran about a half hour and then bogged out now it does not start at all. has anyone ever had an issue like this? It's getting fuel, cranking over nice.
Which injection pump do you have.. Simms> where the lines come off the pump in a straight line? or CAV where the lines are in a circle??
Bet it's not. Does it blow smoke or white fog out of the exhaust when you're cranking it? Have you tried priming the fuel system and bleeding air out of the injection pump? injection lines at the injector? Did it squirt fuel out of the bleeders and injection lines?
That's why I wanted to know the fuel system.. so we could tell him how to bleed it and check for fuel delivery.. The info provided is like calling the auto parts store & telling them I have a car and I need a bulb..
True. We'd probably be safe to just tell him to take the whole fuel system apart, blow it clean and put it back together. Who needs diagnostics anyway? I don't know how the fuel could ever go bad? I'm sure the tank drain was checked for water every morning, and the tank was filled at the end of every day, for the last 4 DECADES. On the other hand, you might be able to blow back on the line into the tank and then it will run for five minutes, then repeat for five more minutes of running.
if it aint smoking ,it aint getting fuel , give it a shot of either just to see if it tries to start , could be low compression or stopped up air cleaner. injection timing if anyone has messed with the injection pump. Also has to crank over at a good rate , if it's barely turning over it may not be enough to get it going.
Thanks guys I'm kind of new to this so I'm trying to get used to it never got notified of the responses. But I believe it's the Simms injection pump and I can't remember about smoke when cranking. I did prime it and I have bled the system before maybe I need to bleed it again ? I will try and get more answers soon thanks again
If its a Simms, it has a side cover on it.. you can remove it and inspect the inside.. probably full of baby crap/mud.. You'll understand once you pull the cover.. It has a lift pump bolted to the side.. known to go bad.. cheap, 45.00 anywhere online.. you can pull the cover on the lift pump and inspect the valves and clean out the trash if you want. The system has a self contained oil system.. you HAVE TO add/change the oil.. takes regular engine oil.. full plug on top, drain on the bottom and full screw on the side..