Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 416C will not start

Selby R Knight ยท 2020-10-23 13:53

while using Cat backhoe 416C ( 1999 model ) the engine shut down and will not restart. I first thought it was out of fuel so topped up the tank . Filled secondary filter , primed with manual lift pump & bled at return line from secondary filter. Can not see any accessible injector to bleed so I removed a line at the injector pump, which has fuel coming out while cranking engine. It seemed that it had fuel but would not start so I tried spray ether, quick start. It will start on ether and continue to run for hours. when it is shut off , it will usually restart if done immediately . If it is left a minute or 2 it will not start without ether. I have power on the yellow wire 308 at top of pump, and have also applied 12v from a power pack to it. I have ground on the black wire at top of pump & have also put a ground jumper direct to that terminal. If I disconnect the yellow wire when engine running it will shut down indicating that the solenoid is shutting off fuel I have bypassed all of the fuel lines and filters by using a gravity flow jerry can direct to the inlet on injection pump

Replies7
  1. #1Selby R Knight2020-10-23 14:07
  2. #2Selby R Knight2020-10-23 14:11

    In the second photo, on the back of water pump housing ( behind 2 small coolant hoses & to right of hose clamp on upper end of water pump) there is a sensor with a yellow wire & a blue wire The end is broken of this sensor What is this sensor? Anything to do with starting?

  3. #355cans2020-11-13 01:52

    You have an air leak in your fuel system somewhere. The fuel filter bases are a source, the fuel lines are seated in a rubber grommet/washer that gets compressed when the line is tightened.

  4. #4Selby R Knight2020-12-16 12:46

    I had been thinking same thing , that is why i bypassed all fuel supply system and fed gravity flow from jerry can direct to injection pump I still have not found the problem replaced the temperature sensor which did not make a difference

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-12-16 13:41

    When it acts up do you have a good flow of fuel coming out of the injection pump side of the filters ? If you do then you kinda narrowed the problem down to the injection pump. The pumpguy will most likely have some insight on the problem.

  6. #6AllDodge2020-12-16 15:12

    When you pump the transfer primer , will it get harder (any firmness)?

  7. #7Tinkerer2020-12-16 15:43

    You may find some insight in this thread. HeavyEquipmentForums