Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 420D dipper cylinder leak down

beamero · 2022-03-30 20:31

I have a new to me Cat 420d (11341). Dipper cylinder leaks promptly down (pulling the shaft out) when fully extended where the shaft is fully retracted. I held the pilot controls open with the cylinder fully extended and completed retracted for around 1-2 minutes each direction after a cold startup. Cylinder did get warm at each end of the cylinder where hose ports are located. Does this indicate internal seal issues? Planning on a seal kit, but don’t want to waste money if there may be pilot or resolver issues. Thanks much!

Replies5
  1. #1AzIron2022-03-30 21:15

    It's not likely a leaky relief valve if it's working properly and if it's working properly most likely not a resolver So my bet would be gland seals I bet the seal kitsch a hundred buck ish so the only thing wasted is time if it's not the gland seal

  2. #2Tyler d4c2022-03-30 21:34

    The company I work for has a 420e that does the same thing I'll get to it some day.

  3. #3beamero2022-03-30 21:53

    Sorry, serial is BLN11341

  4. #4beamero2022-04-05 17:59

    Seal Kit has been obtained. Now just have to find the time to get the cylinder disassembled.

  5. #5beamero2022-04-27 21:36

    Update. Internal seals were damaged. All is back to normal after a overhaul.