Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 420d front axle breather

Stephen Fulling ยท 2024-02-24 07:26

The on says there should be a breather on top of axle on this machine and I can't find one. The reason I ask is that when I changed the fluid the other day it was pressurized somewhat. It had been sitting in heated shop for at least 2 days before draining. Any advice?

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2024-02-24 11:15

    There are 6 models of 420D and various options regarding front axles. The O&M will obviously cater for every option. How about a Serial Number to narrow down what you actually have.?

  2. #2HarleyHappy2024-02-24 11:27

    Return line hooked up wrong somewhere, seen it happen.

  3. #3Stephen Fulling2024-02-24 17:36

    Sorry about that, FDP07987

  4. #4Nige2024-02-25 10:19

    So the front axle on your particular S/N is one of three different options and in your case it does not use a breather. Not unusual in this type of axle/final drive. Always suggested to use care when loosening/removing the fill plug in case there is significant pressure inside the axle housing.

  5. #5Stephen Fulling2024-02-25 12:06

    Thank you for the assistance. I was concerned. I really appreciate the help.