Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 420d headliner fuse panel?

Ryan Ricard · 2022-05-05 19:15

I have a 2005 Cat 420d, and the front wiper isn't working. The rear works fine so I was hoping that it’s just a fuse. The fuse in the panel below the bucket controls isn’t blown. In my owner’s manual it mentions a panel in the headliner, but has no description or location. Anyone have any insight on this before I remove the headliner on a wild goose chase? Thanks! Ryan

Replies14
  1. #1Nige2022-05-05 19:23

    Got a Serial Number.?

  2. #2Ryan Ricard2022-05-05 19:26

    I don’t have it with me, but can get it off the machine tomorrow morning. Thanks Nige!

  3. #3Ryan Ricard2022-05-05 19:37

    I found a wiring diagram that shows a front wiper fuse in the headliner panel, but cant find a location for the panel. Wondering if I have to remove the whole headliner, or if theres an easier access point

  4. #4Nige2022-05-05 19:46

    Wait until you have the S/N. That gets the correct electrical schematic which will show the position of the fuse panel(s). I can’t imagine for a moment that a fuse panel would be put in a location where it was not relatively easily accessible.

  5. #5Nige2022-05-05 20:39

    I found what you were referring to in the O&M Manual. fuses in the headliner is only for certain cases of fuses for auxiliary lighting packages. The front wiper fuse (#7) is right next to the rear wiper fuse (#8) in the lower fuse block located behind the cover on the RH side of the console.

  6. #6Ryan Ricard2022-05-05 21:39

    I have that diagram, and found the #7 and 8 fuses to be good. The manual mentioned the headliner panel, and a wiring diagram that I found showed an additional front wiper fuse in the headliner. Thanks for the help, hopefully once I have the serial number it will be easier to nail down. I appreciate your help!

  7. #7Ryan Ricard2022-05-06 13:46

    The serial number is CRS28999

  8. #8Nige2022-05-06 13:49

    That's the engine S/N. The machine S/N should be FDP25733. Please confirm. Did you try interchanging the two fuses to see if the problem moved from one set of wipers to the other.?

  9. #9Ryan Ricard2022-05-06 14:15

    I only see the engine and trans serial/arrangement numbers on the tag, and the vin which is partially scratched off. There’s a cab serial number, C33496. Pardon my ignorance

  10. #10Ryan Ricard2022-05-06 14:21

    Switching the fuses had no effect

  11. #11Nige2022-05-06 14:22

    That’s all right. The machine S/N will be correct provided that the engine is the original. Did you try swapping the fuses #7 & #8 just to see what happens.?

  12. #12Ryan Ricard2022-05-06 14:22

    I deciphered the number I thought was the vin, and you are correct- FDP25733

  13. #13Nige2022-05-06 14:23

    Good info for you if you ever need to buy parts.

  14. #14Ryan Ricard2022-05-06 14:38

    Yes, I have found that to be the case on this 977h that I have. I can’t find a serial number anywhere on it, and have had a very tough time finding any info about it