Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cylinder “O” ring kit

Big Daddy Den · 2022-05-05 07:17

I have a 1996 Case 580L and i’m looking at replacing the “O”rings in the front bucket cylinders. I phoned one of the nearby dealers and the cost for one cylinder is $206, I can get another kit at a parts store online for $70. My question is would you guys recommend going with the dealer at the higher cost or would the other one be okay to use?

Replies12
  1. #1Vetech632022-05-05 08:00

    Are you talking about the complete cylinder seal kits?

  2. #2RES2022-05-05 08:03

    Got my seal kits from Reliable Aftermarket Parts. Dale Weiss at e-bachoeparts is another good place.

  3. #3Big Daddy Den2022-05-05 08:05

    Ya the complete kit, I think there’s 8 in total, 200 bucks seems high for 8 rings.

  4. #4Vetech632022-05-05 08:09

    Of course its high! They have to pay those lousy pats guys LOL. RES gave you what you need above.

  5. #5Swetz2022-05-05 08:11

    I am not sure if you are only looking for an o-ring or the whole cylinder rebuild kit. If it is the kit, below are some reapable people. The first is Hercules product, and the second is Bulldog product. I never get seal kits from the dealer since I found aftermarket sources. https://cea-services.com/search?q=175251A1 https://www.brokentractor.com/p/case-backhoe-loader-bucket-tilt-cylinder-seal-kit-175251a1-175251a1/

  6. #6JL Sargent2022-05-05 08:14

    I've had good luck with aftermarket seal kits on my machines. Here is one for your machine on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/134024940127?hash=item1f34824a5f:g:CLAAAOSws4RiCxRj

  7. #7Big Daddy Den2022-05-05 08:32

    Thanks for the tip, I’ll look them up. Where are they located?

  8. #8Big Daddy Den2022-05-05 08:34

    That’s awesome, thanks for the help guys. I’ll be looking at some or all of the places you recommended.

  9. #9rickw2022-05-06 06:06

    We repacked all of the cylinders on our Super L a few years ago. We used the Bulldog brand seal kits. I got the spanner wrench and unscrewed the gland nuts and left the tube on the machine and took the kit and rod/gland assembly to a local hydraulic shop and let them break it down and rebuild then we just slid it back in the tube. I did have to take the whole cylinder in for at least 1 outrigged in. I could not loosen gland nut. The ones that were already broke down they charged about $50 each. The whole cylinders were close to $100 each labor. The swing cylinders were kinda fun, luckily the gland nuts came loose and I did not have to pull those cylinders. I pulled a few at a time and picked some up and dropped more off.

  10. #10Big Daddy Den2022-05-06 06:54

    That’s great, I may do the same. Seems like everything here in Canada is so much more expensive.

  11. #11RES2022-05-06 08:02

    RAP is in Michigan, 2 days to get my parts in Tennessee. Dale is in Illinois, same 2 days to get parts. Reliable sells on ebay too. You'll need the # off the gland to order the seal kits. A lot of them even though the same year changed the seals.

  12. #12berky2022-05-06 08:05

    Agree that I would go aftermarket. I have used CEA out of Florida and O Rings & More NC. Never had any problems with either