Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 420D Steering gear

RTSmith ยท 2020-04-02 14:52

OK- I'll fess up now. This is probably not a repair I take on myself, but before I get my regular repair guy involved, just looking for the general scope of the job. Cat 420D MFWD Ser- CAT0420DCFDP07728 About 2,000 hours. Been on a farm last 12 years, mostly sitting in the barn for the past 2. Dripping out both sides of what I would call the rack & pinion. Sometimes worse than others. What's this entail folks? Big deal or maybe not so much? Thanks in advance, Richard

Replies8
  1. #1heymccall2020-04-02 15:28

    It's just a cylinder. You can do it. This thread covers the basics. HeavyEquipmentForums I know that there are more on it. Perhaps someone can link a better thread on it.

  2. #2Nige2020-04-02 17:03

    First thing to look at I would suggest is the condition of the chrome rod on both sides. Put the steering in full lock one way and carefully clean then inspect the surface of the rod for dings and scratches. Then steer to the other side and repeat the process. If the rod has no visible damage on both sides then you may be just in for a seal kit to make the repair. I suggest that you do this inspection first and report your findings.

  3. #3RTSmith2020-04-03 14:36

    Will Do. Supposed to be pretty this weekend! And this way I'll be 6' from anyone.....

  4. #4RTSmith2020-04-03 14:40

    THanks! I thought I searched well enough. Obviously not. Wonder what the OP ever ended up with?

  5. #5Nige2020-04-03 14:50

    First report back on the condition of the rods on both sides then we can get into how the cylinder comes out of the axle and the disassembly & reassembly process. Kudos for posting the Serial Number btw, it makes it easier to look up information.

  6. #6RTSmith2020-04-08 14:44

    Sorry for the delay. The wife's Honey-Do list did not involve a backhoe this past weekend. But- Cylinders seem as smooth as any cylinder normally is. No nicks at all. For what it is worth, this poor machine has only run about 40 hours over the past 2 or three years. It is getting ready to get cleaned up and find a home that can better use her talents. I suspicion 18 years on age and no usage isn't good for the seals. The inner tie rods look similar to those of an automotive rack & pinion. But looking at the pics heymccall accessed, it sure looks like the inner cylinder shaft can rotate completely in the bore. Which make me wonder how it is held to loosen the second tie rod....????

  7. #7Nige2020-04-08 16:00

    Check your PMs and all will become clear...........

  8. #8RTSmith2020-04-09 08:59

    Given the way things have been going in the world lately- that's a wonderful thought!!! Seriously- thanks much.