Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 420d swing cylinder drift

beamero · 2022-07-27 10:30

2005 BLN11341. Still new to me machine. Repacked both swing cylinders (both leaking bad) prior to operating hoe portion of machine enough to know it’s norm. If the hoe is off level, the boom will drift to the downhill side. It does this in both directions. If the hoe is extended with the machine off, you can make it slowly swing in either direction with a decent amount of force. I suppose I could have pinched the piston band in one of the cylinders, or both, (repacked 5 cylinders on it) but does this sound like more of a cylinder issue or something with the valve body/resolvers? Thanks much

Replies1
  1. #1beamero2022-07-28 06:54

    Finally found another post pertaining to my issue with a different backhoe make. Sounds like I’ll be redoing the cylinder seals with a compression trick I just learned through the other post.