Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 SL 4X4 hub fill plug.

Squire · 2022-07-27 15:50

Seems like the previous owner striped out the 1/2 in center. Not wanting to weld to it but needs to be serviced. Any old time tricks / tool that be used to “East-Out” this fill plug ?

Replies4
  1. #1swampman2022-07-27 15:53

    Hammer and a chisel?

  2. #2Squire2022-07-27 15:58

    Beat her in to submission! Heat & sprayed. Been at her for an hour now. Got to be a better way.

  3. #3Finca SDR2022-07-27 16:47

    On my deere I cut a big bolt head off with a bit of a stub and pushed it in there and welded several good tacks around the edge. The heat also helped to break it free I think. Now I use a 23mm wrench to check the oil in that hub instead of a 1/2 " rachet.

  4. #4Squire2022-07-27 17:57

    yes that would of been my last resort. But persistence paid off. Old school ways thanks Swampman