Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 420E IT all wheel drive stays engaged

MotorHeadz ยท 2016-09-19 16:59

I am currently working on a CAT 420E IT Backhoe that has the all wheel drive staying engaged. I replaced the switch on the dash at the customer request but, that did no good. I have not had any real exposure to this electrical shift system so any and all advice would be appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1walkerv2016-09-19 18:58

    Someone is probably going to need the serial number of the machine to be able to help

  2. #2John C.2016-09-19 19:34

    How do you know it is still engaged? If you are checking the function with the machine picked off the ground the front wheels will usually turn with the switch in the off position. I usually lower the front wheels down onto the ground and leave the rear wheels high and then try out the four wheel drive function. If the function is off the wheels won't turn but if on they will spin the tires.

  3. #3MotorHeadz2016-09-19 20:20

    Yes, The customer insists it is still engaged because the front wheels turn when all four are off the ground. I will recheck in a couple of days and see what happens. Thanks

  4. #4MotorHeadz2016-09-19 20:28

    Serial # is DAN01626

  5. #5MotorHeadz2016-09-20 12:32

    ok so it is working as you described so I guess it is ok at this time.