08 cat 420e IT with only 1350 hours. When I'm using the hoe to lift concrete bin blocks that weight 3400lbs it struggles to lift them. Anyone know what the lifting capacity of the hoe is? If my machine is off, is there something I can do to increase the lifting capacity? The size of the boom cylinder is massive and I can't believe how much it struggles with one block. The engine runs perfect with fresh fuel filter. Front loader works perfectly.
Go here and look at page 22: http://www.titaneq.com/files/420E-Series-Spec-Sheet.pdf The boom cylinder may look big but it's pulling and it's pulling at a bad angle. Set the boom as high as you can go and lift with the stick, it's a lot stronger apparently.
I have an '03 420D, you have to learn the geometry of the boom as far as lifting capacity goes like lantraxco said. A 420 will lift and set a 4x4 knock out box and a trench roller, both around 3400 lbs but one has to be in the right position.
guisep3, The guys are right. Bring the boom as close to the machine as you can and lift with the stick. Once your weight is up in the air you can drop the boom as you simultaneously adjust the stick to get your distance.
Thanks guys. That's what I've been doing. Using my stick to do the lifting. I'm an excavator guy primarily so the difference between my excavator and my hoe is dramatic. I just wasn't sure if that's just the way it is, or maybe I had an issue with my machine. I love the hoe, I guess I'll just have to get better with my outrigger set up distance to the truck or wall to be. It's actually why I thought I had am issue cause the Cat brochure says the hoe will lift over 5000lbs, but I'm not so sure about that! Even with the absolute optimal geometric boom and stick positioning.
It could probably pick 5,000 without a bucket in the right geometry but in reality that's too much weight to pick with a rubber tire, just my opinion.
Your right about that. I feel like the bin blocks at 3500 lbs is about the safe limit without tearing up the machine.