Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 420F no throttle response with 2 active codes

Drewoods12 · 2025-11-10 12:03

I tried changing the pedal and when I plugged it in I got the red warning light

Replies17
  1. #1Nige2025-11-10 12:25

    Start with a machine Serial Number. It helps.........

  2. #2Drewoods122025-11-10 12:28
  3. #3Nige2025-11-10 12:50

    The 3510-4 relates to the 5v DC sensor power supply. See procedure attached. Does it go away if you unplug the throttle pedal.? 558-2 is Accelerator Pedal Low Idle Switch signal erratic, intermittent, or incorrect. Was the pedal you installed a genuine OEM one or aftermarket.? The troubleshooting procedure for 558-2 will require Cat ET diagnostic software.

  4. #4Drewoods122025-11-10 13:03

    It does not go away if I pull the throttle plug it goes into limp mode and the code 91-3 comes up. The pedal that was in the machine before was a Kongsberg Bas and it worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. The new pedal was bought from Cat. We have the cat tool we just don’t own the license to do any real digging. Last thing I’d like to mention is we did have a mouse problem up until last week.

  5. #5Drewoods122025-11-10 13:05

    With the CAT pedal in I get 91-4 and limp mode but on the other hand the 558-2 code switches to logged

  6. #6Nige2025-11-10 13:22

    What Part Number is the new pedal assembly.? I think it might be worthwhile to check the wiring is correct, even on the new pedal assembly. Check your message inbox for an electrical schematic.

  7. #7Drewoods122025-11-10 13:31
  8. #8Nige2025-11-10 13:34

    That is the correct Part Number. I wonder if someone had to mess with the machine wiring to get the previous aftermarket pedal to work.? Worth a check.

  9. #9Island_catguy2025-11-10 19:31

    Yeah you can take the floor boards off with a couple of torx bits. Thats the platform harness that goes from the cluster and fuse panel down to the accelerator pedal, machine ecu and up the steering column. Check the wiring from the pedal backwards for chaffing. Also take a pic of the pins for the connecter at the pedal. They tend to back out or become spread open.

  10. #10Drewoods122025-11-10 19:39

    I think I’ve found the issue being my fuel pressure sensor. I won’t be able to check anything until Wednesday then il send some pics for ya. Im usually on rail so I’ve been using the rear throttle so adding to those other codes every few days my machines has been going into limp throwing fuel pressure sensor codes. Im assuming that’s it but I appreciate you letting me know about the floor boards I had no idea.

  11. #11Island_catguy2025-11-10 19:58

    Check if it’s fuel pressure sensor codes for the circuit or for the actual pressure. Because if it’s the fuel rail pressure high and low codes, you can change the filter in the tank. It gets dirty and can also collapse on its self and cause a restriction. Also the electric feed pump can become clogged or weak over time. And once in a while it will be the fuel pump relay that heats up and stops the feed pump from working. This is all assuming you’ve changed out both fuel filters already. Tank is also super easy to drain, there is a bolt on the bottom to check for water. Key on, the pump is pretty loud. Next time you hit limp mode from the fuel pressure, turn off the machine and turn the key on and listen for the pump. It’s above the starter in the left side.

  12. #12Drewoods122025-11-12 09:10
  13. #13Drewoods122025-11-12 09:28

    And my aps supply is getting 9 volts

  14. #14Island_catguy2025-11-12 13:15

    The orange wire in the middle?

  15. #15Drewoods122025-11-12 13:18

    Yeah I got it all figured out thank you

  16. #16Island_catguy2025-11-12 13:20

    What was the issue?

  17. #17Drewoods122025-11-12 13:44

    There’s was a ground wire short and it killed a sensor