Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat-426 axle-lock & link

towbar ยท 2022-08-22 17:26

My son was trying to help remove the sprung link and broke it. So I welded a 3/8 bolt and the new one is installed. HeavyEquipmentForums I don't understand well enough how this works: why is there a spring cylinder on the link? Most importantly with the little travel involved I'd like to get my eyes on the precise calibration/adjustment procedure. HeavyEquipmentForums TIA

Replies5
  1. #1towbar2022-08-24 06:28

    The 3/8 bolt BTW is a mod, I didn't have the original fine-thread so I drilled and tapped the fork for 3/8.

  2. #2edgephoto2022-08-24 23:38

    The original was metric

  3. #3mitch5042022-08-25 01:31

    The spring is there so when you step on the differential lock pedal, it puts pressure on the dog clutch, letting it engage when the teeth line up, rather than a solid link letting you force it in.

  4. #4towbar2022-08-25 06:49

    Thanks. How do I set it, by connecting the fork with the 'dog-clutch' completely relaxed? Does that leave enough travel to engage it fully with the little pedal?

  5. #5towbar2022-08-25 07:11

    I had some 8mm on hand but if I remember correctly it wasn't the right thread. Surprising actually, seeing that it was made ENTIRELY in England. Attached a pic of my prototype viewports, now I can see in peripheral vision without even looking if the wheels are both turning (and in sync). Am I supposed to hold the pedal for the duration and the lock releases when I release the pedal (have hardly ever used it)? HeavyEquipmentForums