Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 426 transmission search

Charlie Collins ยท 2021-07-11 10:56

Hey everyone! Just acquired a cat 426 missing a transmission. The story was the radiator failed allowing coolant to get into the transmission. The previous owner had a mechanic remove the transmission for repair, but it never happened, and the transmission 'disappeared.' Does anyone out there have any idea where I can start looking for one?

Replies8
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-07-11 11:11

    Welcome to HEF, Charlie ! I have made satisfactory purchases from this vendor. You could do an internet search for used ones to. You will need a part number and maybe the tractor serial number for accurate results. https://www.joseph.com/Parts_list.asp?Brand=Caterpillar&Class=Transmissions+-+Reman,+Automatic

  2. #2Nige2021-07-11 13:47

    Post the machine Serial Number here. It will probably be 7BCxxxxx. That S/N will get you the Part Number of the Transmission Group. Once you have that it will make a search much easier.

  3. #3Charlie Collins2021-07-11 17:57

    Tinkerer and Nige- You guys are awesome, and I appreciate your help! I've got a model 426, sn 7BC02090 I'm looking forward to getting this machine back in working order

  4. #4Nige2021-07-11 20:19

    The transmission Group Part Number for that machine is a 9W-7920. I think one essential for you right from the start is a Parts Manual. You know that the transmission is missing but what about all the minor bits & pieces like fasteners, hoses, etc, etc.? The correct one for your machine is reference SEBP1885 and covers S/N between 7BC01878-3476. One here from eBay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAT-Cate...pare-list-catalog-SEBP1885-1992-/192726849032

  5. #5Charlie Collins2021-07-12 07:24

    Couldn't agree with you more! There's half a five gallon bucket under the machine filled with water, oil, and random fasteners. The parts manual is a must have. Thanks for the link!

  6. #6Charlie Collins2021-07-12 09:57

    Very helpful staff at Joseph! Unfortunately, they need a core which I do not have , so the search continues.

  7. #7Nige2021-07-12 13:53

    Normally I would recommend you download a pdf copy from Cat because 2nd hand sellers are usually extremely proud of their manuals and often ask higher than new prices. The one in the link was around half the price of new though.

  8. #8Charlie Collins2021-07-12 14:28

    I felt good about the purchase, thanks again for your guidance.