Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pin metal

foss · 2021-07-11 16:42

Hey guys, Steve (Foss) here. I have been getting some good feedback from the members here on an issue with our Cat 225LC, which I really appreciate. I have another question that I am sure someone here can answer. We just sold our old Case 580 backhoe and bought a JCB 214 that seems to be in very good condition, except a few leaky cylinders which we are rebuilding. As we pulled the pins to get the cylinders out, we found some wear on the pins and would like to replace them while we have it apart. Problem is the dealer says the pins aren't available.? I find this very strange but whatever. So the question I have is, Are these pins (for the swing cylinders and front clam bucket) mild steel or a harder steel? It seems to me, that while replacing some pins on our DresserTD8 that some pins were fairly soft while others were a lot harder. Anyone have experience with this? If they are mild steel, I can make them on my lathe. Thanks for any help. Foss

Replies10
  1. #1DMiller2021-07-11 19:07

    Hydraulic shop should have a Rockwell tester and can tell you what grade steel are looking at.

  2. #2joe--h2021-07-11 19:50

    You need another dealer, https://www.chrisbeardaps.co.uk/product/811-90463-jcb-cylinder-end-slew-ram-pin/ Or a bunch of different kits on ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40& _trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=Jcb+Slew+Swing+Pins+214+loader&_sacat=0 Pins are a wear item. no way are they not available. If that's your only dealer you're in trouble. Joe H

  3. #3Willie B2021-07-12 07:28

    I've been delighted with my Case dealer, Town Line In Plainfield NH. I've also bought plenty of parts from ConEquip, and Broken Tractor. Odd pins I couldn't buy, I Used 4140 steel. In my limited experience Bushings are several thousandths smaller than nominal (2" might be 1.996) You need a lathe to bring them to size. A proper pin shop will heat treat after machining. Usually the reason a part is NLA is there is a substitute part number only a dealer will know.

  4. #4Vetech632021-07-12 07:45

    You should file a complaint in the "parts guys" thread.

  5. #5csthompson122021-07-12 10:15

    eBay seller - “all_backhoe_parts” usually has all those parts.. fast shipping too.

  6. #6foss2021-07-12 22:17

    Thanks so much guys. Yeah the dealer here in Chattanooga, at least so far, hasn't been impressive. The one in Knoxville seems to be quite a bit better. This kinda threw us a curve and started us thinking "what have we bought here? Are we going to have trouble getting parts for the JCB?" We will check out these suggestions.

  7. #7hookedondiesel2021-07-13 16:25

    Parts are readily available for JCB, if your only problem is a "pin" I wouldn't sweat it.

  8. #8Coytee2021-07-15 11:34

    There is an official JCB dealer in Knoxville? I know that 'Power Equipment' used to carry JCB and might still be able to get parts. I've nixed going to them: I had my dipper cylinder rebuilt by them many moons ago (been redone since then). I was pulling out my checkbook expecting 200/300 bill....and it was like $1,200 and I about dropped on the floor. Long story short, they lowered it to about $900 or something absurd....and I've never ever been back. I started ordering parts.....from Chattanooga. I don't recall the part, but I needed something fairly small (still trying to recall)... Called them and ordered it. What they didn't tell me is they didn't have any in stock, didn't want any in stock so had to order a box of FOUR of said item (that I only needed one of). They then turned around and shipped/BILLED me for all four of them even though I only wanted/AND ORDERED a single one. Why didn't they tell me I was going to pay for four of them? "They come to us as a box of four so that's how we sell them" Again I don't recall what it was so the above is a memory of the event. On principle, I finally shipped all of them back and ordered a SINGLE one that I needed from the dealer over in/near Savannah (I think they're called Low Country??) VERY nice folks, VERY helpful and so far, I don't feel like they've bent me over a barrel to have their fun.

  9. #9Coytee2021-07-15 11:37

    I might add it irritated me again when I did the cylinder a year or so ago, myself..... and got all the parts for the rebuild......for something like $75.

  10. #10Welder Dave2021-07-15 15:15

    Hyd. cylinder rod material is good for pins. A hyd. shop may have damaged rods that could be repurposed to make pins from and be less expensive.