Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 426B Transmission help

Hazman ยท 2018-06-21 01:29

Aloha, My older Cat 426B Backhoe (Serial 5YJ00375, Trans #9U9495) started leaking trans fluid in massive amounts from the Torque Converter/Pump Seal area so I decided to pull the unit to put in a new seal and maybe a new TC. When I pulled the fluid strainer I found it gunked up but also found large peaces of both of the plastic "Disk-Thrust" that are suppose to be on the input shaft. So now I'm going through the Transmission and following my service manual when I get to a picture #D34608 that says "Remove Oil Feed Tube." What I found in my Trans Case was that the Tube was missing and the top journal where it should be connected is plugged with the lower journal left open. So here is my Question: can anyone tell me what this tube feeds and do I need it in this unit? Also I cant find a part number in my CAT Service Manual or Parts Manual for this tube. Here is the picture from the service manual. . Mahalo from the Big Island of Hawaii.

Replies2
  1. #1Cmark2018-06-21 03:16

    It looks like the tube is part of the 4WD system and as yours is a 2WD, it won't be present. Part number is 9W5458. Oh and FYI, 9W9495 is the transmission part number, not serial number.

  2. #2Hazman2018-06-25 00:59

    Gday Cmark, Thank you this is very helpful. I was concerned that the unit had a previous rebuild and someone left the tube out. The trans serial number is L98564. Aloha