Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 428 backhoe: Pro`s and Con`s

Fudgepacker ยท 2016-07-29 04:49

About to close the deal on a 1988 Cat 428 backhoe: 4x4, 4 in 1, side shift extendahoe for farm duty. It is old, but in very good condition and is electronics free, which is a plus for my situation. Could somebody please enlighten me on the pro`s and Con`s of these? Thankyou.

Replies5
  1. #1Mark2502016-07-29 09:04

    hi , this is testing the memory box and I am sure some one will chip in if I get it wrong, the early cat hoes were made up of basically spare parts from other OME's for instance the engine was a Perkins, the front axle was a ZF the gearbox was from Spicer, the rear axle was a ford 5000 with in board brakes and god help you if you put the wrong oil in it, hydraulics were part Vickers but I think the paint was cat or was it DuPont? having said all that for there time they weren't too bad . the only troubles I came across were leaking shaft input shaft seals and wrong oil put in the arse end which made them lose brakes and cause brake chatter Mark

  2. #2Dickjr.2016-07-29 12:29

    We had a 416A or a 1987 model. It was a pretty decent machine over all. Mark250 is about right seemed like they were made if spare parts. I have a C model now 1998 year that is basically the same tractor , perkins engine , Ford rear end , zf front axle. I am unsure of the 4 speed gear box if its a spicer , but I bet it is. I am having a hell of a time with loader hydraulics with mine.

  3. #3Fudgepacker2016-07-30 19:13

    O.k. Thanks Fellas.

  4. #4schuy12016-07-31 05:15

    I have a series 2 428 91 model. Got with 10000 hrs on it and it works well. As everyone has said they are a parts bin build. However with typical Cat quality , all parts are readily availible, easy to work on (for a backhoe) With anything this age previous service history will count big time in how it behaves.Well serviced=minor probs. Keep quality lubes in it of the correct type for the sections and it will reward you. Cheers Scott

  5. #5Fudgepacker2016-08-01 04:16

    Thx Scott and Cheers yourself!