Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 428C B/hoe slew pivot pin loose and maybe worn

allenr ยท 2012-05-28 10:03

Hi, new here and I can't promise that I'll be a regular contributor (too many other forums) but I'd really appreciate any advice. A couple years ago the bottom slew pin broke - thought it may have come loose first. So on fitting the new one made the taper tightening nut very tight and rechecked a couple times after use. Despite this the pin became loose in the taper again - assuming now that the pin and/or casting are worn. Rang Cavpower (Adelaide, South Australia), they looked at their bulletins and said it"s a known problem. Finally they said there is now a new frame with a different taper to overcome the problem (complete with pin/s and bush/es AU$2600+GST. They emailed some info about the new frame but that only mentions a bigger pin for the boom foot and something stronger for the slew cyl pivots? I've also rung a onsite inline boring company to ask if they do taper boring, answer - no. However they said thay can straight bore the casting bigger and force in a custom insert. Not sure which way to go - a custom insert may result in the need for a custom taper pin but that would probably not then be case hardened as I suspect the current pin is. Also not sure if there would be enough casting left after boring for the insert. Thank you in anticipation.

Replies0

No replies yet.