the backhoe control pattern on the 428C doesn't follow the conventional pattern, ie, the sticks need to be pushed towards the front and centre for boom down, jib out rather then just straight forward and back. I cant find and literature on this or how to change that pattern? Is there a name for this? it is not the iso controls or anything, just controls not standard to any other machine ever seen. Was it a glitch for cat never to be repeated?
Hard to understand what your telling us. First thing is how many levers do you have? Also, IMO you don't push a lever towards the front of the machine but you pull it towards the front. When sitting in seat in backhoe position, when you push the left lever away from you and rewards the back of the machine, what happens?
Thanks for the reply, it has the standard 2 levers, the configuration is the same as normal cat controls but the pattern and even the operation diagrame sticker dont face the conventional north south east west pattern. for example, for the slew left, you push the left stick up and to the left a bit, to slew right it is down but back to the right. Usually slew is just let and right with the stick. I have tried to attach a drawing of the pattern. Not sure if it worked or not?
In other words, it's like your joysticks are turned 45 degrees? Instead of pulling the lever straight toward you, you pull it on a diagonal? I don't think this is on purpose, I think you are going to have to look at the linkage if it's direct controls and you'll find something wrong. If it's pilot controls, the valves have probably been turned.
Thanks mate, wish it was that simple but even the sticker on the control panel is the same, that's why I have put it out there, was this a one hit wonder by Cat never to return!! Also, has anybody had and fixed this problem?
Caterpillar 428C Control pattern with picture Hi Attached is a photo of the control pattern on the 428C backhoe. As you can see, it is not the conventional direction for the sticks. Has anybody had this problem, and have they had it fixed or tips. Just finding all the operators are struggling with the direction. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Also, like my last post on this subject, was this a one off for Cat then buried?
Check out this thread, it may help you out.
swg1, I once jumped on a forklift that was setup 45 degrees off like that. I think it was a Cat but am not sure. swg1, all the spool assemblies I have ever seen on a backhoe are mounted accross the back in a strait line. With that in mind, if you don't have pilot joy sticks, but the old type wobble sticks, you should be able to modify or rotate the pivoting ball socket assembly so they the levers will be correct. May take some cutting and welding but has to be possible.
swq1, You've started a new post about the same subject. That is not a good idea as we no longer know where to reply to so that we can follow up on this. Maybe the forum administrator can move your post and photo here for you. I did look at it thou and it seems you have the JD pattern in a Cat but twisted 45 degrees. I still think you should be able to fix this by rotating the ball joint assembly. Then you will have a Cat with JD controls. Take the black plate off the top of that console and send us more photos. Use your flash so we can see the mechanical parts.
pretty sure it was a nissan forklift they have that pattern for your problem with your machin swq1 you might want to look in the wobble stick assemby for wear out pin and bushing its not made like this
Thanks Deon, have checked it out and will definitely take some cutting and shutting to fix!
cheers
swq1 Welcome to the Forums!:drinkup I moved your picture you posted of the controls in another thread to this one to keep it all organized. Please keep this topic in one thread as it clutters up the board and more importantly the people following this thread that may have advice might not see other information in a separate thread. Thanks.
Jcb has an option for that style controls. Being a 428 im assuming it sideshift and not from the U.S? So that probably explains the different pattern. Should also be able to change the linkage brackets out to get the pattern you need.
Cheers
When I purchased my backhoe one of the controls was twisted like that. It's been a long time, but if remember right I was able to just adjust the linkage.