Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 430D

Swamp_Donkey · 2022-08-24 11:12

We're looking to get a 430D backhoe but its several states away . The backhoe runs but won't go in forward or reverse they said. It's a newer model. Wondering if it could get a simple switch or what? Anyone had this issue?

Replies17
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-08-24 13:50

    It could be as simple as the switch that controls direction or as complex as electrical issues or even worse the transmission.

  2. #2Nige2022-08-24 14:55

    Factor the cost of a transnmission repair/rebuild/exchange in your offer for the machine. If the transmission is foobarbed you don't lose, if the problem is something simpler you win.

  3. #3Swamp_Donkey2022-08-24 21:57

    Well I did call CAT and the guy said if the hydraulics work then the transmission is fine...so it may be electric. I guess it's time to decide if we'll pull the trigger and go North to pick it up. Thanks guys!

  4. #4Tinkerer2022-08-24 22:32

    Really ???? I'm probably wrong again, but you should get a second opinion on that. IMHO.

  5. #5Swamp_Donkey2022-08-24 22:35

    ‍♂️ He said on that model the hydraulics and transmission is all together and if any shaft is messed up then it wouldn't work the other hydraulics. I'm not sure...I don't have a schematic of the thing. I thought all of these backhoes were hydrostatic thus runs off the same hydraulic system, but I'm not sure.

  6. #6Tinkerer2022-08-24 22:49

    I don't pretend to know anything about a 430D. I do know it is quite a gamble to pay for a tractor that won't move for an unknown reason. Unless as Nige said --- factor in the cost of a rebuilt transmission in a worst case scenario.

  7. #7Nige2022-08-25 04:46

    I agree. If they were hydrostatic drive there wouldn't be a transmission at all. The implement hydraulic pump is mounted on the back of the transmission, that much is true. The transmission pump is a separate pump located inside the transmission itself. IMO (without digging into it too far) despite its physical location the implement pump appears to be driven from the transmission input shaft. Therefore unless that shaft or the coupling between that shaft and the implement pump fails the implements will still work but as I say that's without digging really deep into it.. I think it's perfectly possible to have an internal failure (e.g. a clutch) in the transmission and the implement system will still work.

  8. #8mitch5042022-08-25 13:09

    Absolutely

  9. #9Tinkerer2022-08-25 13:59

    Why in the world would anyone try to sell a machine that expensive and tell a prospective buyer he doesn't know what is wrong with it. OH !, wait maybe he does know.

  10. #10Nige2022-08-25 14:02

    Ya think...?

  11. #11Tinkerer2022-08-25 14:17
  12. #12edgephoto2022-08-27 10:14

    A seller being dishonest? Never! I find it interesting that if a person buys something and finds out the seller was dishonest they are upset and want to sue, etc. Those same people will think it is ok to sell it and be dishonest. I see this in the car business all the time. "Just needs a tune up". Well if it did why did you not do it before selling? Oh wait, it has a burnt valve and the seller is trying to hide that fact. Back on track.......If you do not mind a project I would offer significantly less than the machine is worth. I would use market value minus the cost of a reman transmission replacement and take that number and offer 75% of it. If the seller could fix it he would have. He is selling it because it has an issue he is unwilling to pay to have fixed or worse, can't afford to fix. The can't afford to fix is worse because that means there is a good chance maintenance and proper repairs may have been deferred or done half-assed. Your price needs take this into account. Trust me, that machine is not selling quickly.

  13. #13John C.2022-08-27 11:55

    Specs that I found show the machine has a power shuttle which generally is a manual transmission with a shuttle shift for forward and reverse. One might assume that the only connection between the transmission and the hydraulic functions would be the mechanical connection to drive a hydraulic pump. Maybe new units are computer controlled but I doubt that. Like others here, I would have to consider who the OP was talking to at a dealership. There are varying degrees of competence at any dealership. When I put numbers together for trade values and projected sale prices, those costs were a primary factor. Anything that I identified as interfering with normal operation of the machine was disclosed in the ad material. Since I was working for a Cat dealer we were required under state law to disclose any problems that we knew about on any machine that we would be considered competent on. I would assume the same could be implied of other dealers in the business of buying and selling machinery. When the problem is as obvious as the machine not being able to move under its own power, not revealing the issue in ad material could be considered fraud.

  14. #14JAKES.2022-08-28 07:43

    "It's a newer model" I assume that 430D is no newer than 2006 21 years is alot of time of use and neglect. Just keep that in mind.

  15. #15joe--h2022-08-28 14:32

    Looks like swamp donkey is mired in the swamp somewhere, and possibly missing his wallet by now. On the off chance he's still reading this how much is this fine piece of machinery and how old is it? Who's selling it, dealer or private party? Hello, are you still there? Joe H

  16. #16Swamp_Donkey2022-09-03 11:07

    Its the military.

  17. #17Swamp_Donkey2022-09-03 11:07

    Your Uncle Joe Biden is trying to get rid of it off one of his military bases in PA We didnt get it.