Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 615 scraper puzzle

nota615mechanic · 2026-04-13 15:43

Hello everyone. I have a puzzle I'm trying to solve. Here are highlights of the back story. Machine driven off a slope then rolled over backwards to upside down position. It took around 6 hrs to get back on its wheels. I let it sit for few weeks. Repaired lines on the neck that were crushed. The machine started great and idles fine. I actually drove the machine 4 miles to it's current location. Now for the puzzle. I could tell the engine was in alot of strain. Here are some pieces checked off. All filters changed,aftercooler removed and cleaned, injection pump built, hydraulic control valve relief valves checked. Last ly i just discovered machine had 115 psi of oil pressure. I changed oil pump relief valve. Fixed that pressure problem, but engine still in a strain. Anyone have any ideas on possible areas to check. Thanks to all that read all of this. Your help greatly appreciated!

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2026-04-13 16:03

    Was the engine left running for anything more than a couple of seconds after the machine overturned.?

  2. #2Tones2026-04-13 16:14

    It takes a-¼ of a teaspoon of oil on the top of the pistons to bend conrods. The injectors should have been pulled and the cranked to get rid of the residual oil before starting it. After doing what you've done your next question will be 'how to find a missing alternator' because a piston left the bed.

  3. #3nota615mechanic2026-04-13 16:57

    No it shut off instantly.

  4. #4nota615mechanic2026-04-13 17:05

    Well all that was done in the beginning. (Compression check,ran over head) that's why this is a puzzle. It's somewhere else in the machine.

  5. #5Nige2026-04-13 17:15

    So nobody actually turned off the engine.? That is not a good sign. A diesel engine will usually run upside down with no external intervention for a few seconds at least, even though it will have no oil pressure. I’m with Tones, I’d say the problem is in the engine. Drop the oil pan and take a look at the condition of the main & rod bearings would be my suggested next move. I am not 100% sure but I think you’re wrong. The clue for me is in the fact that the engine stopped itself as opposed to someone turning it off. What engine model is it fitted with.?

  6. #6pittsburgh cat man2026-04-13 17:47

    I would say 3306

  7. #7nota615mechanic2026-04-13 18:00

    I'm not sure if the operator shut it or not. It's possible he did. My thing is, it starts like always. Sounds good and i drove the machine 4 miles. if you have (bent connecting rods, push rods,) something would have come apart. Whitch is fine. Also for me anything bent would show up in the compression test. I changed the relief valve on the oil pump and oil pressure returned to normal. It was obvious original was stuck shut . I do appreciate you guys alot

  8. #8pittsburgh cat man2026-04-13 18:15

    We had some small dozers that had bad egr coolers that would bend rods you could defiantly tell some thing was wrong by sound and white smoke I think I would be looking at engine mounts ie broken bolts bent one question how does it steer follow up linkage screwed up? That was a pretty hard hit most any thing is possible

  9. #9nota615mechanic2026-04-13 19:19

    Re

  10. #10nota615mechanic2026-04-13 19:38

    At first would only turn left. I rebuilt the steering valve and it steer fine now This thing prers like a kitten. Starts on first crank. It's like it's not getting enough air. Light black smoke. Feels like no booste. Now hydraulic tank seems to get very hot fast. Any thoughts on hydraulics pulling rpms down below levels needed for booste to start to come up

  11. #11Tones2026-04-13 19:58

    Return to the last thing fixed first and recheck. A partly open valve can cause hydraulic oil heat and make the engine labor. The question then becomes what valve and were. Pressure testing will find it, guessing not so much.

  12. #12pittsburgh cat man2026-04-13 20:11

    I think I would start by checking your pump pressure when it has hyd controls in hold look for a high pressure

  13. #13HATCHEQUIP2026-04-14 16:23

    I think thats a paddle wheel , check the paddle control and the 2 speed for it , the lines at the paddle motor are probable crushed and if that control is engaged that might be your problem