Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 70 scrapper toughness?

Dirt Poor ยท 2010-12-28 08:27

Finally decided to get a pull scrapper that I can use behind my wheel tractor and the td25c. My question is will the td pull a Cat 70 apart. This one has been converted to hyd. TIA

Replies13
  1. #1Buckethead2010-12-28 13:27

    Cat 70 was made to be pulled by a D7. I don't think a TD25 would hurt it. I am sure it would be easier to load with the bigger tractor. I don't think a wheel tractor would be enough to handle it, usually you see them with 2 smaller pans.

  2. #2Greg2010-12-28 17:07

    I have been running pull type scrapers for a long time. One of the most critical things is that the width of the cut on the pan match up to the tread width of the tractor pulling it. My guess is that the tread width of the td25 is going to be to wide for a No. 70 pan. Better off to look at a No. 80 which is wide enough for a D8.

  3. #3Buckethead2010-12-28 19:30

    Good point! I had forgotten all about that, I haven't run the old "pull pans" much, lol.

  4. #4Greg2010-12-28 21:15

    Another thing. Be sure to keep track of the neck on the earlier Cat pans. They do have a nasty habit of breaking. All of mine have been reinforced. Have one that is going to go in the shop this winter for a complete rebuild of the neck on a Cat 80. One other thing, we don't call them "old" here. They are "renewed." When that gets done the are also converted to hydraulics.

  5. #5Dirt Poor2010-12-28 21:36

    That "neck" was what I was wondering about. Outside to outside on td pads is 9'2". 70 is 10' wide, is that enough? Wheel tractor would only be used for small jobs that I needed to road a ways to. Called dealer about one this morning and told the salesman I would have a man there this afternoon to look it over. After 300 miles under his belt my man walks in to be greeted by oh we sold that this morning. I'm a slow learner. I should have asked he to hold it for me. Phone calls are so dang expensive for the sales staff these days.

  6. #6Greg2010-12-29 12:28

    Cat 70 does not have a 10.0 foot cut. It is more like 8.0 feet and matches up to a D7. That is why they call it a No. 70 scraper. Better go for a No. 80 or you will be too narrow.

  7. #7RDG2011-01-22 17:42

    I wouldnt worry to much about the width of cut/track width unless you are cutting a drain or some thing where you have to run in the same cut all the time, most times you can offset your cut passes to avoid running on the edges of the track shoes, the main thing I would be carefull of is a 25c has about 100+ more HP than a D7 depending on the model, you would just have to be carefull and not get to greedy when loading or you could end up with a stretched Cat 70. Back in NZ years ago there was an outfit using 8/ll yd scraper behind a D8 H in very soft wet conditions and it did the job, now days it would done with hyd excavator & 6x6 dumpers. Cheers RDG.

  8. #8Greg2011-01-22 21:12

    Beg to differ with you RDG. My experience it is best to keep cut matched to track gauge. Everything just works better that way.

  9. #9Buckethead2011-01-24 14:01

    I agree. If the bowl is narrower than the tractor, on a topsoil pile or the edge of a fill the track on one side is going to be hanging over the edge somewhat.

  10. #10diggin022011-02-04 16:04

    Our wheel tractors are 4' wider than the cut of our scrapers and we don't have too much of an issue.

  11. #11Buckethead2011-02-04 18:05

    How do you build a topsoil pile like that?

  12. #12clansing12011-02-04 21:30

    Does your TD-25C have the extra valves to run the scraper? If not, how do you plan on converting?

  13. #13Dirt Poor2011-02-06 15:59

    Blade,tilt and auxillary. Thinking of looping the aux through a Three valve body. Cheers