Here are a few pics I took on our current job of our 740 adt's with pans. I haven't seen to many pics of these on here so I thought I'd post a few.
Cool
So whats the advantage of this over a typical Cat scraper ? More versatile, lower operating costs ? Thanks for the pics
They say lower initial cost and the fuel savings make it a better deal over traditional scrapers.
Looks like they still have to be push loaded to get a load, 3x diffs and 6 x planetary hubs all to wear out, 621/631 one diff and 2x planetarys got to be cheaper , but then if the scraper work runs out I suppose u can put a dumper body on it.
How the heck does the operator see the cutting edge, or are all these fitted with GPS (I don't see any evidence of GPS from the pictures)?
That's quite an airport job.
This type of setup is a hogger, not a scraper for cutting/filling to finish grade. Just get in the cut, lower the bucket until you feel it pull, when the dirt stops moving, get out of there.
That would be hard for me to get used to, but loading by feel is a big part of any scraper once the cutting edge is in the dirt.
We rented a couple of these set up with k tec 44 yard (I think it was 44, it was in the 40's and it seemed huge for the 740) pans behind them on a refinery job outside of Dickinson, ND. We started pushing them with our D-8T, but it was taking way to long to load, so we hauled our 9 in. That got the loading times down but they were still painfully slow on the haul, and they really struggled trying to climb up onto the pile. During the five months they were there, they lost 2 or 3 planetarys and had some sort of transmission trouble with one, I wasn't there at the end so I'm not sure exactly what happened. It seemed that the general conclusion with everyone was that it was worth a shot, but the scrapers were hauled in on the next job.