Can anyone tell me what the differences are between a cat 80 flat bottom and a cat 435 scraper? Is the 80 as hard to load as a 463? Rob
435 is more like a cat 70 I believe
What chum duffy said is what I'm thinking too, the 435 is the newer model that replaced the cat 70, a cat 80 is far larger than any 435.
Chum Duffy and Randy are both correct. According to the Caterpillar Performance Handbook, under "former models" it says the 435G (the latest series of 435) was 12 yards level, 17 cubic yards heaped. And the Cat 80 5W was 15 cubic yards level, 20 heaped. The Cat 80 2D was 13.5 level and 18 heaped. (I guess the 2D was the round bottom version?)
Wait, looking at it again I think I was wrong. The 435D was bigger than the 435G, it says it was 15 level/19 heaped.
Thanks for the help guys. I've been running a cat 70 round for ditching on my farm for 15 years now. The quad tracks we're using now could use a bigger scraper. I've heard that a 435 would be the right size, and a 463 is too big. So I was wondering how a 80 flat fit into the picture. I bought a fairly clean unit(not delivered yet) on the condition that the tractor can handle it. He figures it isn't much bigger than a 435.
I had the original brochures .. here's what listed from the brochures ... 435's replaced the 70's ... 463's replaced the 80's 435C... Made from 56-61 .. 13 struck 18 heaped yards capacity... 23,500 lbs. empty weight 435D... Made from 59-61 .. 15 struck 19 heaped yards capacity... 25,400 lbs. empty weight 435E... Made from 61-72 .. 12 struck 17 heaped yards capacity... 22,900 lbs. empty weight 435F... Made from 62-72 .. 14struck 18 heaped yards capacity... 24,900 lbs. empty weight 435G... Made from 63-73 .. 12 struck 17 heaped yards capacity... 22,900 lbs. empty weight CAT 80 Flat bottom... Made From 50-56... 15 struck 20 heaped yards capacity …. 29,863 lbs. empty weight CAT 70 Flat bottom … Made From 51-57 … 10.2 Struck 13 heaped yards capacity … 20,150 lbs empty weight
Great info! 435's vary a lot I see. Are their a bunch of different 463's as well? My tractor seems to handle the 80 nicely for what I'm doing.
You are welcome, thank you for the reply .. Yes there are several different 463's .. 463 ... Made From 55-60 ... 18 struck 25 heaped yard cap. ... 31,000 lbs empty weight 463C ... Made from 59-60 ... 22 struck 28 heaped yard cap.... 34,800 lbs empty weight 463E ... Made from 60-71 ... 18 struck 26 heaped yard cap ... 34,400 lbs empty weight 463F ... Made from 63-71 ... 21 struck 28 heaped yard cap ... 34,600 lbs empty weight 463G ... Made from 63-71 .... 18 struck 26 heaped yard cap ... 29,200 lbs empty weight ..... Largest CAT pull scraper I could find is the CAT 491C ... made 63-70 .. 27 struck 35 heaped .. 47,500 lbs empty weight ..
If you don't mind me asking, what are you using to pull your 80 ??
It's a Case quadtrack set at 510 hp(chipped 435). I can load it heaped, it has 12" boards. Last few yards of dirt get tough pulling, so I usually don't bother heaping it.
I've seen a couple if 491's waiting to be converted to hydraulics. They are huge! The guy doing the conversions uses one to build dugouts and lagoons, pulling it with two John Deere track machines hooked together. I haven't seen it, but no thanks!
Thanks for the reply .. The two Deere's pulling the 491 would be quite a sight to see!! Excellent choice of scrapers to go with your quad track, Case IH makes some very good quality four wheel drive tractors. I know what you mean about heaping the scraper, seems like it takes a lot of power to "stuff" that last little bit in there. I used to pull a Allis Chalmers scraper (LaPlant choate), it had a lower sided but longer bowl design that seemed to take a lot less power to heap up than the Cat scraper do, although the scraper was lightly built and cracked continually ..
We have a 108 laplante choate that we use on our FWA tractor. Easier loading for sure.