I just purchased a Cat 906M for farm use. I am not impressed with the fine metering ability of the loader hydraulics. If I press the button, which is supposed to slow down the hydraulics and give more control, it seems like I have to move the stick a long way before anything happens, then it still goes all of a sudden. I haven't operated any other Cat loaders, so I don't have anything to compare it to, really. However, I will say that compared to a Kubota KX040-4 excavator, the Cat controls are not nearly as predictable and controllable. Does this sound like the joystick needs to be calibrated? If so, is there a way I can do it myself?
Please post a Serial Number. I can look up info based on that.
Thank you! Here's the number. CAT0906MCH6600478
First up, if you are expecting the controls on a wheel loader to perform like those on an excavator I think you're going to be disappointed. The different uses for which the two machines are designed means that the loader controls are never likely to have the same level of fine control as an excavator. Which "button" exactly are you talking about.? Can you post a photo.? (You may have to make a minimum of 3 posts before are allowed to upload photos) Everything I can see regarding speed control in the Operation & Maintenance Manual refers to ground speed not hydraulic implement speed, but maybe I'm missing something. You do have an O&M Manual I hope.? Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but unfortunately the only way to calibrate the joystick position sensors and the proportional solenoids for the implement control valve is by using Cat ET. TBH a re-cal is the first thing I would suggest because who knows when they were last calibrated.? Not necessarily a dealer-only job if you can find a local independent mechanic who has ET. In which part of PA are you located.? There may be an HEF member close by with the necessary equipment. EDIT: Hooking ET up to the machine would also be a good opportunity to look at any Active or Logged Diagnostic Codes or Events. It may be that something in them might be related to the issue you have regarding implement control sensitivity.
Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll attach a picture of the hydraulic speed button. The machine is located in Westmoreland County 15610 is the zip.
Gotcha. Optional keypad. That switch is for implement modulation. O&M Manual speaks thusly - "Press and release the button to toggle through the implement modulation settings. The settings correspond to Fine, Normal, and Aggressive modulation. Fine is indicated by 1 LED on. Normal is indicated by 2 LEDs on. Aggressive is indicated by 3 LEDs on. When in Fine mode, the maximum speed of the implements may be reduced."
I found a free download for the O&M manual. Where would be the best place to get a shop manual? I would also like to do pins and bushings on the front coupler. The machine supposedly has 2800 hours on it, but the coupler is pretty loose (it was used to load salt). I am planning to use a hollow ram porta-power to pull the old pins out. Is this how it would typically be done? How hard do they usually pull? Could I weld a 5/8 bolt onto the end of each pin and pull with that, or will I need to go bigger?
What was the Publication reference of the O&M Manual.? For a complete Service Manual search the usual internet marketplaces for UENR5030. FYI a new one in paper form is currently $765, or $540 in pdf form on a CD
The pins on smaller machines usually just drive right out with a big punch and 4# hamner. Then weld a circumference pass twice around the inner of each bearing (bushing), then they'll fall out. Use the portapower to push the new ones in.
The service manual lists no special tools or puling equipment to remove/disassemble the quick coupler. See attached. Seems like a case of remove the locking bolt and knock each pin out with a large hammer and a drift. Obviously yours might be a bit tighter having been in salt all its life, so it may need a bit of heat.
Thank you both, that is some really helpful information! Unfortunately, mine are A LOT tighter, but now I know that I'm dealing with corrosion and not a factory press fit.
The top of the manual on the first page reads: M0095361-02 February 2019
Not applicable to your H88-prefix machine Serial Number I'm afraid. That manual only covers machines of K56, K57, & K58 prefixes. It may have some info that applies, but not guaranteed. You need to be looking for Pub Ref SEBU9222-18, Nov 2022. See attached image of front cover.
Would anyone be able to tell me the location of the indicator light for the start aid or glow plugs? I am assuming that this is an automatic function, when temperature is below a certain level. Also, what would be the easiest way to upload a video? I was going to share a video of the hydraulic operation too see what you guys think about it.
Would anyone be able to tell me the location of the indicator light for the start aid or glow plugs? I am assuming that this is an automatic function, when temperature is below a certain level. Also, what would be the easiest way to upload a video? I was going to share a video of the hydraulic operation too see what you guys think about it.
You have to upload it to YouTube and link it from there. On the extreme left of the bottom of the LCD indicator screen. See attachment. Instructions for starting as follows: - 1. Turn ON the ignition switch. The instrument cluster will perform a “self test”. Wait until completion before starting the engine. 2. In cold weather applications the indicator lamp for the starting aid will turn on. When the engine start switch is in the ON position it activates the glow plugs. Once the indicator light for the starting aid goes off, turn the key switch to the START position.
Hopefully the video works.
Strum, Did you read what Nine posted? I ,Have a CAT 908M same controls, on the "soft touch keypad", upper right , 1 led lit, slow hydraulic response etc. if you press the button and all three led are lit, that's the fastest response etc. not sure if you have tried that yet .
Yes, I have tried changing the keypad settings. Does your 908m require this much movement of the stick before anything happens?
Based on the video it needs the joystick position sensors calibrating IMO, and because the procedure requires ET it would probably also pay to calibrate the proportional solenoid valves for the implement control valves while you’re at it.
No mine move faster..I meant to say NIge not NIne. Keep us posted on ur outcome