Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 910 problems

Manta andrei ยท 2020-11-19 16:50

Hello! I am new on this forum. I need your help with my CAT910e machine. Serial nr 41y02375. Engine model 3204. Aspirated model, without turbo. 3 big problems together: high oil consumption, black smoke (sometimes in combination with blue smoke) and iregular motor sound (intrerrupted going). I checked air alimentation - ok I changed the filters (diesel/oil) without motor oil, i will change it this weekend. I saw that motor oil is very fluid. Could someone help me with some information. Maybe anyone had the same problems like me in past. Thank you in advance!

Replies2
  1. #1liskov.082020-11-28 16:07

    hello, i may mistake, cause i didn't repair this loaders. you should check your fuel sys on any leak. if i would be instead of you i will remove fuel injectors and check clean of pistons. if pistons have equal cleanness it mean that the leak from fuel pump side.

  2. #2absoluteyukon2020-12-06 22:25

    Hey there, if your engine oil is diluted and smells of diesel you should check that you have proper combustion in all you cylinders. Use a temp gun on the exhaust manifold to determine which cylinder is the issue. From there you will need to determine the cause of the misfire: bad injector, valve train/push rods, fuel injection pump, etc. I would be cautious about running any engine with fuel dilution for any period of time though, so you should change it out asap and then begin troubleshooting. The good news is that the 'ol 3204 is a bone simple engine and fairly reliable. The downside being that it does not have cylinder liners, so if it is worn out a trip to the machine shop will be in your future should it require an overhaul. Good luck!