Hello All! Looking at an older CAT 950 loader and I noticed the shifter was not the typical twist type gear selector but instead a single shift lever...any idea on when CAT made the change between the two? Also any idea on the year of this machine? Serial Number is 90A803. Thanks
No idea of the date of manufacture, too old for SIS to show it! I believe that machine has two different range shifters to the left of the seat. If it is the same as an old 966B one was a mechanical gear change and the other was a shifter that worked a hydraulic shift valve for two clutches in the transmission. Been a few decades since I sat in one of those old 966B's
90A803 is a 1965 build year. The change to twist grip came across the range when the the 966C was introduced in about 1967-8.
I have machine 90A696 and it is a 1962 so yours would be a tad newer.
Thanks all! I imagine with that transmission arrangement these are pretty stout machines. Anything I should look for besides the normal loader issues? In that year would it still have the 3304T? Thanks again!
I don't think they had the 3304 in them at that time. It was something different. I rebuilt one of those engines but the only thing that stands out in my mind was it had a broken crankshaft and a balance shaft that was out of time. The dealer rebuilt the engine about 200 hours before but it didn't get run much for a couple of years. The big things on those are the center hitch and all the tilt linkage from the cylinder rod all the way to the bucket. The center pin in the big lever can get loose and then it snaps off the rod eye of the tilt cylinder. Lots of steel tubes from the hydraulic tank to the middle of the machine and they crack at the flanges on the tank. There is no room to get underneath the cab to work on the steering or the brake system. The transmission controls are as kshansen says. You have a high low range that is gears and the other lever is one and two speeds. It they have been beat hard, they like to crack front frame in the corners under the cover for the hydraulic control valve. The booms liked to crack on that big cross section in the middle that joints both legs of the boom. Good Luck!
Thanks grandpa! How has finding parts for your machine been? I read somewhere that they didn’t introduce the 950 until 1964 so I was surprised you had a 62. Thanks again for your help!
Thanks! Good info!
D330T in these early ones. I believe 1965 was first build year.
I really don't put alot of hours on mine anymore. Last summer I did put 400 hrs on it helping to feed a screening plant but it didn't require any parts to be installed then. We did go through the brakes this season, but all parts were still available. They sure do have a beller to them when you stomp on the throttle. Mine has a soft cab while yours has a hard cab which I would prefer. Pretty tough old machines.
Good to know @grandpa ! Another question for everyone: Is the bucket pin spacing and size the same on the 955L as the 950? I found a rake that used to be on a 955L, wondering if it will pin up to the 950? Thanks again for all the help...going to look at the 950 today...I'll report back on our findings.
Sorry but no. It's close but not close enough for it to fit without some form of modification. See diagram below 950 - W1 = 37.5" B1 = 3.00" Pin hole bore (before installing bushing) = 2.25" 955L - W1 = 36.25" B1 = 3.75" Pin hole bore = 2.50"
Thanks for the info Nige! Spot on as always!
We bought the old girl! She’s old but she is ALL CAT! I have lots of questions...but for her age I found her to be a fine machine for our farm. Thanks all for the input thus far! @granpa that beller is music to my ears!
I see she got the shakes when you turn,,, under the floor boards is the steer gear/controls. Start by greasing up every thing you can find and also look for slack in the linkage.
If your looking for attachments ,try and find a quick change . I have an old 910Cat loader with quick change ,bucket ,forks and trailer mover. You will never want to be without it once you have it ,those 950 s are great old loaders .