Hello, I just bought a 1998 Cat 914G loader with 18000 hours on. Nearly all electrics are in dismay. The loader only drives about 8Km/h while all other hydraulics function perfectly. I believe that the previous owner messed about with the wiring in an effort to find a servo valve that would open and engage high, witch is about 35Km/h. Am I correct in my assumption to believe that it may only be a high/low valve. I have come across another thread in witch was posted to open the strainer valve situated on the hydraulic tank just behind the cab to identify if it could be the brake valve sticking. Haven't done that yet, still waiting from Barlow's Cat to call me back on a service repair manual so that I can accurately redo the wiring. 1. Any fault finding tips regarding the machine especially on the hydrostatic transmission? 2. Does someone maybe have a PDF service repair manual for a Cat 914G / IT14G that they can email me? 3. What other types of faults a typically experienced on the 914G? Much appreciated.
this machine has a 2 speed hydrostatic transmission, top speed 21.7mph...........I think you are using the low range gear
If you want an electrical schematic for the machine please post the Serial Number and an e-mail address that I can send it to. If you don't want to post specific details here then you need to have at least 3 posts on the forum - you only have 1 right now. At that point if you click on my user name you can send me a Private Message with the details of Serial No. & e-mail address.
I too believe that its in low. 4. Where is the solenoid valve located that changes from low to high? 5. On the pump I see a two stage solenoid valve, which I believe to be the forward/reverse selecting valve, am I correct? The machines wiring is in a total state of disrepair, there is now way of tracing wires, looks like someone thought that it would work better without so much wiring and dived in with a side cutter. Smart machine though. My email is [email protected] The identification number is 9WM01343 The VIN is ABDO207HYWLWTL013 Thanks for the posts.
You have mail ................
Thank you very much. This will get me started, will keep you informed of my progress.
Found a further problem, there is a vibration on the engine. Its so severe that all the feul lines broke. The vibration is more severe at certain times and less at others. Probable problems I think can be: 1 Vibration is caused by the engine itself. 2 The pump that drives the hydrostatic is causing micro vibrations that makes the machine self distruct. Does anybody have any ideas on what can cause the vibration?
Nige, I read a lot of posts with you responding so I am contacting you for my info. You seem to have a lot of knowledge. I have a 1995 Cat 914G. Every time I shift into reverse, it blows the fuse marked "key". It ran fine when I bought it and brought it home. I rebuilt the joystick hyd controls that were frozen. Other than that I have not done anything else. It runs fine in forward except I don't feel it is running in high when I flip the switch. My email is [email protected] . I am also looking for a service manual for future reference. I was a mechanic for 16 years, so I do have some knowledge although it was not in heavy machinery. Thanks in advance! Richard
1. Every time I shift into reverse, it blows the fuse marked "key". Usual causes tend to be that you have a short in the reverse warning system. When you place it in reverse, either the reverse warning siren is faulty causing the short or the solenoid on the pump which engages reverse is shorted out. The latter being the more prone problem with age as the heat generated by the solenoid self causes it to break. Another problem that can cause it, but happens more seldom is that the forward reverse selecting joystick (the thing next to the steeringwheel) has worn out brushes or tracks or that the brushes/ wires are touching, causing the short. 2. It runs fine in forward except I don't feel it is running in high when I flip the switch. Look on top of the hydraulic tank, there you will find a aluminum three directional hydraulic electrostatic switch. The coil of that solenoid also tends to burn out with time. Just test the voltage to this coil to make certain it is uniform and if the coil is burnt out, replace, cheap and easy fix. As for manuals can't help, for Cat you need to have SIS, manuals are extremely hard to come by, if you find one pass it on, much apreceated.
Thanks for the fast reply and info JohnnyJackal! Where is the reverse siren located? I have looked everywhere. I disconnected all the rear lighting as well in case that was an issue. Also, where do I find the reverse solenoid? I disconnected the 2 on the bottom of the area in front of the drive shaft and did not help. I am new so locating these is harder for me being a newby! Thanks for all your help!
Found shorted out relay at the fuse box. Now to find a cheap source to replace all of them. Cat wants $23.00 each! rip off!! Thanks for the help forum friends!!!! :notworthy