Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 914g won’t move

Sgbouchikas · 2024-12-20 00:07

I have a Cat 914G won’t move forward or reverse , I hear the relay click, but no movement , I’m look for some direction to start diag , all fluids are at proper levels Serial #9WM00985 Thanks for any help

Replies19
  1. #1Nige2024-12-20 09:16

    Can you give more detail about how the machine was performing BEFORE it stopped moving please. Did this happen suddenly or have you experienced problems for a while that simply ended up with the machine not moving.? Do you know how to access Diagnostic Codes in the machine electronic system.?

  2. #2Sgbouchikas2024-12-20 09:40

    Thank you for answering There are no codes The machine will move for the first or second bucket load and then during gear changes it stops , only here a relay click when control is moved , let it sit for a hour or so it might move again , but more than likely not at all All of a sudden it goes , hard to under stand , when it’s working it’s strong like no problem

  3. #3Nige2024-12-20 09:49

    When you say this do you mean there are no warning lights on the panel or have you actually checked the transmission ECM for Codes.? This process requires physical intervention in the machine electrical system, it's not something you can look at on the dash panel

  4. #4Nige2024-12-20 09:52

    But has this symptom been getting worse over time until you reached the point where you are now, or was it good one day then performing like it is now the next day.?

  5. #5Sgbouchikas2024-12-20 10:06

    Yes they steady got worse and now it’s in this state of working for a little while and quitting

  6. #6Sgbouchikas2024-12-20 10:11

    I also checked it with a scanner and I come up with no codes

  7. #7Sgbouchikas2024-12-20 10:12

    Is there a different diagnostic port for the Transmission ECU? If so, where is it located at?

  8. #8Nige2024-12-20 10:44

    There may be a quicker way. On the illustration below of the transmission control there is a small LED, marked #1. With the engine idling is that light lit.? You may have to run the machine from cold until it acts up again then check the LED again to confirm. TBH it sounds to me as though there is a developing problem of some sort in the hystat drive system, but I want to rule out the simple stuff first.

  9. #9Sgbouchikas2024-12-20 11:03

    thank you I’ll check it out and get back to you

  10. #10Sgbouchikas2024-12-20 11:47

    Thank you for the info and the picture. But I cannot find that transmission control unit , I have searched the unit and I’m unsuccessful finding it, if you had a better location, might help me

  11. #11Nige2024-12-20 11:48

    Did you miss the “located under cab - right side” on the photo.? You may have to go searching behind one of the tanks.

  12. #12Sgbouchikas2024-12-20 12:04

    I saw the location in your picture , I will look behind the tanks

  13. #13Sgbouchikas2024-12-20 13:39

    I found the ECU no led light on ,, It was back , under cab by the main hydraulic tank , the unit move for me a little bit and then quit and no lights on in the ECU unit

  14. #14Nige2024-12-20 13:56

    So that would appear to rule out an electronic fault. Here's the drive system testing procedure. You may have to get some heavy-duty help because it appears to require a mountain of test equipment. I've never done this procedure myself so I have no idea whether or not there is a work-around that does not require all the special tools.

  15. #15Sgbouchikas2024-12-20 14:17

    Ok that is a large/ long test procedure ,, I have printed out that procedure and I will tackle it over the next few days , I don’t have that many gauges, but I’ll see if I can make that do, thank you very much for your help. I’ll let you know how it goes, again thank you very very much.

  16. #16Nige2024-12-20 14:22

    I know you have some sort of scanner but the one thing I'm sure you will not have is a Dataview (data logger) tool.

  17. #17Sgbouchikas2024-12-20 15:48

    I do have live data I can view , I looked at as much as I could and didn't see any suspect

  18. #18Nige2024-12-20 16:26

    It’s not so much a case of viewing live electronic data, it’s having pressure transducers hooked up to various test points and having their signals hooked up to a recording device that is sampling each and every channel 10 or 100 times per second. That recording device is your data logger. After a test you can go back and look at exactly what a given parameter is doing in minute detail.

  19. #19Sgbouchikas2024-12-20 16:32

    I understand what your talking about , I don”t have that kind of data logger I will follow the test you gave me earlier and see what results are