Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 920 Air Compressor.

stondad ยท 2012-11-17 23:28

1995 Mitsubishi built 920 articulated loader with forks used for loading logs in the bush (Queensland Australia). It is not a high production machine and we handle it ok but it is better and safer with brakes than without them. We must rebuild or replace the air compressor because the old one has broken a con-rod and the gudgeon pin has drifted and scored the bore. Cat supplied us with a monstrosity that would never fit - no way so we returned it. When I asked them again I discovered that it is probably the substitute compressor that goes with an adaptor plate and kit for the 3306 engine in the 12g grader. (Our 4cyl engine must be a truncated 3306). The annoying thing is that from the look of the old one and some parts pictures that Cat faxed us, I can see that it is a Clayton DeWandre compressor mounted on a Cat block. Our crankshaft and drive gear is ok. All we really need is from the big-end up to the head. Can anyone help please if you have gone through the same drama? Should we just go with the Cat adaption to get the compressor into the 21st century? Cheers. M from Australia.

Replies12
  1. #1Rusted2012-11-18 00:30

    I'm guessing you have a 75J series, depending on the serial number you will have a D330c or a 3304 (from 75J 2157) engine. Production of the 920 ended in 1985. Here's the pages from an early edition 920 parts book covering the compressor, there would undoubtedly be updates for this.

  2. #2OzDozer2012-11-18 04:13

    It should be a Bendix Tu-Flo standard twin air compressor, as fitted to nearly all trucks with air brakes. Clayton Dewandre Holdings U.K. was incorporated in March 1934 to manufacture braking equipment, and this company supplied mostly British truck & bus manufacturers, and a small number of European vehicle manufacturers, with braking equipment. Clayton Dewandre never supplied Caterpillar with any braking equipment. Clayton Dewandre was taken over by Wabco Europe in April 1991, and the Clayton Dewandre line of braking equipment and products started to disappear from that date, as Wabco replaced all Clayton Dewandre products with equivalent WABCO products. You can still get nearly any Bendix part, for any Bendix item built in the last 30 or 40 years - but you'll spend a long time looking for Clayton Dewandre parts.

  3. #3Bob/Ont2012-11-18 08:50

    Oz there was also a single cyl one used. Do you have any pic's of it? Later Bob

  4. #4OzDozer2012-11-18 09:22

    G'day Bob - Yes, now that you mention it, I do recall a single cylinder compressor fitted to some of the smaller loaders. I'll have a look at what I've got on it, tomorrow morning - it's a little late for me here now. Regards - Ron.

  5. #5stondad2012-11-18 16:03

    Thanks Chaps. Yes the serial is 75J381M. Sorry I said 1995 in original post. It is actually 1975. If only it was a Tu-Flo, we could go to Woollies and find them on the shelf next to the Holden radiator hoses! Sadly, ours is a single cylinder. OzDozer, you have confirmed what I found out about the end of Clayton stuff. The pictures we received by fax show the typical Clayton build with four tie-bolts between the head and the block down the outside of a round barrel. Ours has the barrel bolted to the block, and the head bolted to the barrel. No tie bolts but still the same look about it. I'm sure I have seen the same sort of thing on light Jap trucks like Hino, Isuzu or UD. Maybe there is a connection with our machine being Mitsubishi built. According to Hastings Deering, even the two cylinder compressor supersedes to the adapted kit for the 3306 engine. Cheers. M.

  6. #6Bob/Ont2012-11-18 17:48

    The 3304 and 3306 front cover plate is the same. what bolts to one will bolt to the other but length can be an issue. All of the single cyl compressors I have seen had the 4 long studs fastening head to crankcase, with cyl between. If you get one of those it should fit. Later Bob

  7. #7Rusted2012-11-18 18:06

    75J381, would make it a 1970 build with a D330c, if that makes any difference to the cover plates etc.

  8. #8rjharms2012-11-18 18:53

    We don't have this loader anymore but for whatever it's worth, we had a 1983 Cat 950B with the 3304 engine and it had a single cylinder compressor on it.

  9. #9OzDozer2012-11-18 21:17

    Stondad - The arrangement where Mitsubishi built Caterpillar machines under licence to the Caterpillar Tractor Co, saw Mitsubishi use local content for accessories. The Jap machines have Mitsubishi electrics, whereas the U.S. built machines used Delco-Remy. However, the Mitsubishi electric components were interchangeable with Delco-Remy. It's highly likely that the single-cylinder compressor was made by a Jap company, and it followed the design of a Western manufacturer of air compressors. It's highly likely it's identical to a Jap truck air compressor. Is there any particular reason why you can't change the setup to a twin cylinder Tu-Flo?

  10. #10stondad2012-11-24 18:42

    Thanks to everyone for your further information. I have asked a supplier for the Tu-Flo, now that I can specify the engine(s) it is to fit instead of just the machine. We are getting somewhere now because they have a listing but they haven't come up with a price or the item yet. I did get an old Clayton compressor from a friend. The bore size was correct but the big-end diameter was wrong so it was no help to us because our old one has a broken con-rod. I'll let you know when we have success. Cheers. M.

  11. #11Lee-online2012-11-24 21:30

    920 (41J, 75J, 62K), 930 (71H, 79J, 41K, 73U), 950 (43J, 81J, 31K, 65R) Wheel Loaders Description of Change: The original "Clayton" air compressor (can be identified by the four exposed head studs) has been discontinued. A newer air compressor group which includes a "Bendix" air compressor and the associated air compressor lines group can be used together as a replacement for the original air compressor. Adaptable To: Illustration 1 and Chart A identify the components of the 7C-0902 Air Compressor Group. The 111-7994 (0R-8256) is used on older motorgraders, 12G,12H, 120 130 140 160 G,H and 936F.

  12. #12stondad2012-11-25 02:07

    Thanks Lee. I think you are where I would really like to be (in a van down by the river). The serial # of our 920 is 75J381M. I can't follow up any further until tomorrow. Cheers. M.