Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 920 Engine Noise

dieseldog5.9 · 2021-03-01 09:21

Have a 920 Cat SN 6k9100-4957 Not sure of the year. Has a "rod knock", Previous owner rebuilt the engine, it came into a rod knock again, replaced the engine with a cat short block, If I am getting the story correct had a knock again, Cat came out and put a rod bearing in it and it has a rod knock again. I thought it would have a 3204, but perhaps not, and do these have an issue with spinning rod bearings?

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2021-03-01 09:32

    Did you mean 62K-prefix rather than 6K..? Serial Numbers up to 4605 were originally fitted with a D300-series engine (machine S/N & engine S/N will be the same) Serial Numbers 4606-Up have a 3304 engine. Engine S/N for these machines will be 78P-prefix.

  2. #2dieseldog5.92021-03-01 10:19

    Try No 2, technical difficulties

  3. #3Nige2021-03-01 10:46

    I see no photos ..........

  4. #4dieseldog5.92021-03-01 10:53

    Apparently my new phone took video instead of a photo, took me a minute to repair so I could post picture. Here is a photo of I am assuming part number for the engine block. I searched but could not locate an engine tag.

  5. #5Nige2021-03-01 11:10

    I think you’re right. 7N5454 block casting is part of 7N6652 Cylinder Block Assy which includes liners, etc. 7N6652 is used on 3304 engines S/N 78P57460-Up which would make that engine a 3304. EDIT: The photo you added to post #3 above with the 6K9100 number on it. Where is that plate located.? According to the system 6K-9100 is actually the Part Number of the rear main frame fitted to machines with S/N starting 62K1 up to 6418. Thinking out loud. I wonder if the "4967" after the 6K9100 is actually the Serial Number of the machine - 62K4967 in other words.? Remember that from the info above anything above 4606 would have originally been built with a 3304 engine.

  6. #6Nige2021-03-01 11:43

    And FWIW if the above is correct and the engine is a 3304 I have no recollection of any rod bearing "epidemics" on the 3304 or its big brother the 3306. Do you have any idea how much oil pressure it has both when it's cold and at normal operating temperature.?

  7. #7dieseldog5.92021-03-01 11:52

    I took that number from under the right side of the cab on the rear section.

  8. #8Nige2021-03-01 12:19

    Have a look on the front frame. See photo below, I think that's the fender in the bottom RH corner of the photo so that would make it the RH side. if you can't find a plate look for 4 rivet holes where the plate once was. The number should be hand-stamped on the frame at the same location. Also a photo of the engine S/N plate as well, not sure how much help it might be to see the location although that steel tube in front of it should give you a general location.

  9. #9Bluox2021-03-01 15:20

    Should be a 3304. replace the fuel nozzle for the hole that has the "rod knock" The id plate will be on the left side of the motor over the oil coolers. Bob

  10. #10DB22021-03-01 16:40

    We had a 930 that always sounded like that.

  11. #1156wrench2021-03-02 09:35

    if it is actually a bonafide rod knock, there are issues with either a plugged or restricted crankshaft drilling from the main to the rod journal, a mismatch in the bearing shell to the rod journal or an incorrect fit of the shell to the rod. it would be interesting to know if it had previously spun the rod bearing or just pounded it out. if it is spun and pounded out, the piston could be hitting the head. on a reground crank, some regrinders will offset-grind the rod throw to salvage a poor crank and that can change the stroke slightly which can lead to problems with either the piston skirt or pin bosses contacting the counterweights at bdc, or the piston touching the head at tdc on some engines, gas or diesel. probably more common on gas engines though

  12. #12dieseldog5.92021-03-02 10:14

    Now that you mention it I had a roller a couple years ago that rolled over, owner loaned it to a buddy, and I asked about what they did after it rolled over, he told me he pulled the injector and rolled the engine over by hand, I was going to pull the engine for a long block, and on a lark put a set of injectors in it, turns out when the whole story came out, he didnt know what he was doing and dissassembled the injector in the block, when he reassembled the injector it had a knock. New injectors solved the knock in the roller engine.