I recently purchased a 920 loader and it has serial number tags on both the frame and engine that read 62K777. I see plenty of references to pre-2001 8-digit numbers and a few for 7-digit numbers, but nothing about 6-digit. I understand that you add zeros to make up for missing digits?? Do they go after the K? All the parts staff at my local Cat dealer are younger and not well-versed on older machines. When I asked them to date the machine, they fumbled, stuttered and finally said it was a "1969....or '70." How old it is isn't really important to me. I know it's right about my age....and that's old enough. I just want to make sure that I'm buying and using the right serial number range manuals. The sale included a loader parts book for serial numbers "62K4606 and up". Most parts look about right, but pretty sure it's actually for newer machines. I want to get a book for the 3304 engine. I appreciate any help that anyone can offer.
In "modern-speak" your Serial Number woulkd be 62K00777. Unfortunately the online system has a message - " Warning: No Product Configuration data to display" which is bad news as far as you are concerned. You are correct. It's not for your machine. The engine in your machine actually pre-dates the 3304, although it is similar in a lot of respects. I think it will be a D330 of some sort. The fact that the machine and the engine carry the same Serial Number is confirmation that the nengine is not a 3304. If it was it would have its own (different to the machine) Serial Number. For a machine of that era there is very little information in the online system. Your best bet is to get hold of a Parts Manual, then at least you can go to the dealer with a Part Number to ask for. Search for UEG0044S online. it covers 62K machines with S/N from first built up to 4605. If you have no luck you can get a copy from a couple of resources. They are still available.
A very early 920, 00242 - 01343 for 1969, the first year for a 920. FWD
FWD, Thank you for the info. From what I found while shopping for a loader, was that the 920's were made from 69-84. For being as old as they come, she's in very nice shape though. Joe C.