Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DPF emulators.

Kelly Mehling ยท 2025-03-13 13:34

I wanted to get some information on DPF emulators for the Tier 3 engines out there. I read constantly about problems that guys are having with non working equipment because of the stupid emission controls. For those that have used these emulators that are out there, has that solved your issues? Did they cause other issues? Are they pointless without shutting down the EGR on these. Any help would be great.

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2025-03-13 14:06

    Rather than reinvent the wheel can I direct you to this thread. HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Kelly Mehling2025-03-14 17:59

    Ok. Let me discuss this in another way. I hear alot of bad stories from guys saying they have equipment issues arising from emmisions codes and failing parts. Or even ruining engines due to the failed emision systems. How bad of an issue is this. I was looking into buying a 2012 Volvo loader, but the horror stories I hear make me very reluctant. I would just like to have some advice from guys using these Tier 3 and Tier 4 machines.

  3. #3Cliffy2025-03-15 17:01

    A DPF typically has a life expectancy of around 5000hrs. What tends to happen is the DPF is blamed for failures when cause is usually engine related. With a Pre emission engine you could get away with a worn out engine with oil usage, or a worn injector or a failed sensor. These problems will be masked with a DPF and the main symptoms will be frequent regenerations. DPF is blamed and replaced only for it to happen again 100hrs later.

  4. #4funwithfuel2025-03-15 20:45

    I think , if you do some digging, you'll find that new rules issued by the new director of the EPA are aimed at relaxing the totalitarian position previously pushed. This is all happening fast. I believe at this point the relaxing of rules pertains strictly to transportation but I don't see it skipping the dirt side for long. EPA Launches Biggest Deregulatory Action in U.S. History | US EPA EPA News Release: EPA Launches Biggest Deregulatory Action in U.S. History www.epa.gov Do a little reading, have a little patience and see what happens.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2025-03-15 22:16

    Or more precisely, the existence of a DPF causes the whole setup to fail when it otherwise would have been an operator noticing smoke, and making an informed decision on whether to repair, keep operating a while, run to destruction if it's already old, the DPF forces the issue without warning and causes the loss of tens of thousands when this happens.

  6. #6chorty552025-03-22 15:47

    Even if they work correctly it still kills us, actually even more deadly. Pm2.5 is a joke. Burn more fuel, possibly (usually) destroying an engine so it sponges deep in our lungs? No thanks. I'll take the rolling smoke and blow out boogers in the snot rag, save my equipment, and my fuel costs. #pm25sucks

  7. #7cuttin edge2025-03-22 17:49

    We have a lot of Volvo loaders. The 2 G series machines were a nightmare, an L45 and an L70. Some teenager stole the emissions stuff out of them, and even reprogramed the computers on them. They still run thankfully. The H series have their problems, but nothing like the G, as long as you use clean DEF

  8. #8Dave1012025-03-25 16:16

    Do whatever you can to remove the emissions crap on your machine (once out of warranty) before it becomes an issue! The EPA has come out and admitted it is climate change bullshizz! Once it throws a code or two, the diagnostics and repairs + downtime are usually more than the price of a delete. Stay away from emulators, they are a temporary butt plug made in china and when they fail- and they will- every possible emissions code will come up because the system has been dormant during that time and all the DEF lines have become clogged with crystalized DEF and EGR motors and actuators and other mechanical stuff will be seized.

  9. #9Truck Shop2025-03-25 17:00
  10. #10chorty552025-03-25 18:14

    Is that lunchmoney? Owner is in a wheel chair?

  11. #11BertEe2025-05-21 07:17

    Like others said, stay away from emulators. They do not work, and if they do, they won't work for long. I deleted a lot of my equipment with https://machinery-tunes.com They are top notch.

  12. #1292U 34062025-05-21 08:43

    Would an engine not already emit 2.5 micron sized particles regardless of the emission level?