Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 924F – Tilt is free falling when loaded

Aubrey Phillips · 2023-10-04 13:34

Got a customer that is experiencing a free fall when tilting down a load. He’s had the tilt cylinder repacked twice. I’m thinking this could be something to do with the control valve but looking advice. Thanks in advance Cat m# 924f Product# *5NN00752*

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2023-10-04 14:39

    Do you have an infra red temp gun.? To eliminate the cylinder completely roll the cylinder back to the stop and keep the tilt control operated and the engine at high idle while pointing the gun at the part of the cylinder corresponding to the piston location. If the cylinder temperature at that point spikes then the piston seals are bypassing. If the cylinder passes muster then a look at the line relief valve for the dump side of the cylinder might be in order.

  2. #2Nige2023-10-04 15:02

    In fact both the line relief valves (#10) for the Tilt function are the same Part Number. So for a test you could simply swap them top to bottom of the main control valve and see what happens.

  3. #3Aubrey Phillips2023-10-04 17:36

    I will definitely look into it once I can get by there. Thank you for the quick response.

  4. #4Aubrey Phillips2023-10-04 17:38

    I do have one & I will check the tilt cylinder. I was thinking the bore on cylinder could be worn or scarred up even though he’s had it reworked.

  5. #5Aubrey Phillips2023-10-31 15:14

    I shot it with infrared camera while under a load and noticed it was bypassing internally in cylinder. Repacked cylinder with a Cat OEM kit and that fixed it. Thanks for all the help.

  6. #6Nige2023-10-31 16:54

    Kudos for coming back with the findings and the fix. Many people don't bother.

  7. #7Don Harring2024-09-01 07:34

    Hey! Have an IT 24f that im about to repack the tilt cylinders on with an OEM kit, do you happen to have a shop manual or any pointers? its going to be my first time.

  8. #8Aubrey Phillips2024-09-05 10:23

    I don’t have a manual, it’s pretty straightforward if you are familiar with repacking cylinders.