Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 924f transmission problem

mrmattville ยท 2013-02-13 12:41

Hello, I just got a Cat 924f, brought it in the shop, fixed some rust spots, changed engine oil and filter, air and hydraulic filters, topped off oil levels and installed new cutting edge. Got in it to drive out of the shop and it will not move. Doesn't even try. I don't have a manuel yet, (on order). I thought I may have activated a clutch cut out while cleaning the cab, but tried all the swichtes to no avail. I did some welding on the cab, but had battery disconnected. Anybody have any ideas? Thank you, Matt.

Replies7
  1. #1Karl Robbers2013-02-13 15:57

    I don't know about your specific case, but I can tell you that many loaders with computers need the actual computer disconnected as well as the battery before welding on the machine. At work we fried the computer in a Volvo LD 120E just this way. Have you checked all fuses?

  2. #2Karl Robbers2013-02-13 16:03

    I don't know about your specific case, but I can tell you that many loaders with computers need the actual computer disconnected as well as the battery before welding on the machine. At work we fried the computer in a Volvo LD 120E just this way. Have you checked all fuses?

  3. #3Nige2013-02-13 16:38

    Not so on Caterpillar equipment. Here is the procedure from the Service Manual for welding on machines equipped with electronic controls. Proper Welding Procedure On Machines And Engines With Electronic Controls{1400** SMCS - 1400 All Machines And Engines With Electronic Controls Proper welding procedures are necessary to avoid damage to electronic controls and the following steps should be complied with. 1. Turn off the engine and put the key start switch in the off position. 2. Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery or if the machine or engine has a battery disconnect switch, open the switch. 3. Connect the welder ground cable directly to the actual machine member to be welded. Place this clamp as close as possible to the weld to reduce the possibility of welding current damage to the drive train bearings, hydraulic components, electrical components like cab ground straps and other machine components. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOTICE Do NOT use electrical components (ECM's sensors) or electronic component ground points for grounding the welder. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 4. Protect any harnesses from welding debris or spatter. 5. Use standard welding procedures to weld the materials together. If the OP did something like the above he should be fine IMO. I would be interested to know where the ground cable was hooked for the welding on the cab because that's where the electronic modules are. Welding on one end of a machine with the ground cable hooked to the other end is a common reason for frying electronic systems. The power train on the 924F is electronically-controlled, it may be something as simple as a bad connector or a blown fuse. Is the Diagnostic Indicator for the Electronic Transmission Control showing a fault..? It's located in the back RH conrer of the cab and has an LED on it. If there is a fault Code that LED will remain lit after you turn the igntion on (it should illuminate as a test when you first key on - then go off).

  4. #4mrmattville2013-02-13 17:01

    Karl & Nige, I have checked all the fuses and they are fine. I did open the disconnect switch before welding. My ground was within 10" of the welding. I was unaware of the DI for the ETC. I will check that tomorrow. Thank you for your input, Matt.

  5. #5Nige2013-02-13 18:14

    Just to be clear, when welding you need the disconnect switch open AND the negative battery cable disconnected.

  6. #6Craperpillar2013-02-27 11:39

    Hello Matt. I run an IT-24 F . I had the same trouble but we did not weld on the loader right beforhand. Have you checked the pressure and control valve body? There are tiny screens in each coil assembaly. Without those screens the power tran cant build pressure. I dont know if this is the same for a 924 but my loader was down for about 4 months having the system rebuilt. We couldnt even find the part in a manual because it was called a plug i do believe.

  7. #7mrmattville2013-02-27 12:53

    Craperpillar, the problem turned out to be a wire on the fuse panel. The fuses checked out OK, but the wire coming out was damaged. It had nothing to do with the welding. I think it was something that was wrong wih it when we bought it. Thanks for your input. Matt.