Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 924G brake pressure light comes on briefly when braking?

DennisZ ยท 2014-09-05 18:25

Lately the brake pressure warning light on the dashboard comes on very briefly. Sometimes it's just enough to see the red light light up, sometimes it's a little longer to make a little beep. Never enough to see what light it actually is. :beatsme Had to see at key on which light it actually is. What does it mean? Machine has about 11000 hours on it. Brake pads worn? Machine brakes good.

Replies6
  1. #1Bob/Ont2014-09-05 18:38

    Get the brake accumulators charged. They hold a reserve of pressure when the supply stops. Should hold at least 6 peddle pumps with engine off before light comes on. Later Bob

  2. #2Nige2014-09-05 18:42

    The first thing I would check is the nitrogen precharge pressure in the brake accumulators. There is one for the front brakes, one for the rear, located on the back of the hydraulic tank. The low pressure light should be on (even after the indicator panel self-test completes at key on) when you first start the machine in the morning and then go off after a few seconds once the accumulators charge up. There are really 3 tests that need to be done: - 1. Test the pump for the brakes/fan drive (same pump does both). 2. Test the charging valve on each accumulator. 3. Test the nitrogen precharge pressure of each accumulator. If you want the procedures do do the above tests drop me a PM with the machine Serial Number and your email address.

  3. #3DennisZ2014-09-05 19:33

    I don't have the SN at hand at the moment. I'll look it up in the morning. I know it is 3PZ but can't remember the rest. I would like to have access to those tests Nige...

  4. #4forrest93932015-03-04 06:56

    I was wondering if anyone could help me. The low brake pressure light is on and stays on no matter what tests I try. Pressure tested accumulaters, and the brake vavle under the body bellow the brake pedal, everything has passed by what the manual says it should be at. I've followed wires hoping for a short, i cannot find any reason for it to be on. I've even changed all the sensors that go with the brakes. Any ideas anyone?

  5. #5eddief2020-07-14 14:26
  6. #6eddief2020-07-14 14:29

    Hello Nige I have a 05 Cat 924g serial #dda01601 with the same brake problem i was wondering if you could send me the test procedure my email is [email protected] thanks Ed