Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 924K only goes 10 km/h full throttle

DennisZ · 2024-11-07 11:51

Hello, our 2014 Caterpillar 924 K has slowly began to reduce speed the last few months. But somehow last few days it's really slowed down. Only goes 10 km/h now, in 4th, full throttle. Where to look? Machine has power, it just doesn't speed up more. Don't want to have to tear down and rebuild the transmission as it's sold, waiting for a ne one to arrive any day now

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2024-11-07 12:22

    Hi Dennis. Long time.......... First thing I would suggest is check the basics. Is the transmission oil clear & bright or dark & cloudy. Does it smell burned.? Then pull the transmission filter and cut it open for inspection. Also remove and inspect the suction screen for the transmission pump (if equipped). For more detailed information please supply a Serial Number.

  2. #2ahart2024-11-07 13:42

    Check for debris under the pedals that might reduce their allowed travel, saying it because I’ve seen it.

  3. #3heymccall2024-11-07 14:45

    On our Komatsu WA270-7 & 8 machines (hydrostat like our 930K), we get the same poor speed performance if the dirt under the throttle pedal kept the throttle up, even a 100 rpm. Clean under the heel of both pedals.

  4. #4DennisZ2024-11-08 04:04

    Hi Nige, Yes long time, don´t post here if i don´t have problems i guess ;-) Oil is clean, level, and no smell

  5. #5DennisZ2024-11-08 04:05

    I´ll check that, although the engine makes 1800 rpm anyway

  6. #6Nige2024-11-08 04:28

    Got a Serial Number so I can look up how to get into the electronics.?

  7. #7DennisZ2024-11-08 04:58

    PWR03400

  8. #8Nige2024-11-08 05:55

    Use the attached to get into the Operator Monitor system and report what Diagnostic codes are present. First I would suggest you take a good look for dirt under the pedals as suggested by @ahart and @heymccall

  9. #9DennisZ2024-11-09 07:35

    Ok so today I took a good hard look at the pedals. Accelerator pedal had some dirt build up do cleaned that with a screwdriver and a brush. Didn't change anything. Then the brake pedal, same thing, some caked on dirt underneath. Cleaned it, and now it drives good again Funny because it is a pet peave of me cleaning them on the 926M (I don't drive the 924K much myself) as it tends to keep the brake lights on if a little dirt builds up there. The 924K has both tail lights damaged (have bought new ones, never bothered to install them) so I didn't see it... Anyway, thanks for the advice