Cat 924k Serial - PWR04234 was running perfectly fine, loaded a truck then machine sat idling for about 20 minutes Got back in it and had very low power and erratic rail pressure then died My first though was filters and check fuel pump Cracked filters and got 0 fuel with pump running Replaced pump and now have fuel to filters but machine will fire up (after a very long crank) and then die immediately My mind is now going to either rail pressure relief valve or I saw something about a 924G doing the same with a single bad injector on another forum Any help is greatly appreciated
What kind of rail pressure are you seeing now after the electric fuel pump change? Also, do you have access to Cat ET?
I do not have access to cat et Rail pressure is around 3k then jumps to around 8k and it fires off then dies I have disconnected the “suction control valve” which I call the fuel control acutator and tried cranking to rule it out as the cause but got 20k rail pressure and got the same result
Seeing that rail pressure seemingly rules out the injector leaking off high pressure or the rail relief leaking. Book says a minimum of 3625 psi is required. Are you seeing that? If so, remove the pipe going to the DPF and see if it starts.
I’ll try that first thing in the morning and report back Boss man is supposedly going to come out with a friend that has CAT ET and see if he can get something figured I appreciate the insight
Has this inline screen ever been changed? It took well over a 2000hrs before we got issue like yours. Heck, I didn't even know it was in there.
Yea those can get plugged especially if they’re neglected and not changed.
I’m truly not sure whether it has or not the machine has 6400hrs and we just acquired it This is the first job we have used it on I noticed it earlier but with the amount of fuel flow and pressure that came out with the water separator filter off assured me that it was clear or clear enough to not cause issue
Right on, I’ve seen those DPF filters do odd things and not have the first alarm going off.
It was indeed the dpf Unhooked the pipe from the turbo to the dpf and it fired off and ran fine I appreciate the help Thanks
Hey no problem, glad I could offer some help. FYI, those filters can be cleaned, just takes a good filter shop to be able to do it.
Also, once you get it all back together, whether that’s a cleaned filter or a new one, you’ll be tasked with figuring out why it did it. I’d start by doing the soot sensor functional test, though you’ll need the attenuator and cat ET to accomplish this. My guess is the soot sensor is bad and not telling the ECM it needed to regen. Just went through that with a 930K myself. Need any more info, just ask.
Do you know how to use the Operator Monitor to determine Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).? If not, see the attachment. If it is a problem with the soot sensor I would have thought the system would have set one or more DTCs.
Nige- I’ve had them get locked on a number, say 83% soot load, and never call for a regen. No codes at all. As a matter of fact, no codes with the pipe from turbo to DPF off and engine running to move machine. Failed the soot sensor functional test though. New soot sensor fixed it up.
I think that only really happens with the passive systems that these Perkins powered machines use. An active regen system doesn’t have much tolerance.
That makes sense. i was just wondering if it might have popped a Code and as the machine is new to the OP's organization I thought it might be an idea to dive in the Monitor and see what might be lurking.
I do know how to check for dtcs on the monitor and there is nothing active Soot sensor appears to stuck at 56% which is why it apparently didn’t call for regen and will be replaced