I am kind of new to this. I have a Cat D4G and a 328 John Deere skid steer. I am kind of in the market for a smaller rubber tire loader, and just wondering which has more comfort, better visibility, Just all around better machine. The Cat 928G or a John Deere 544H or J series.I magine they are close. Just wanting other peoples opinions. I have not ran a Deere. Thank's alot
i have ran both and i like deere much better than the cat so go with the deere!!!
Is there much difference between the H v/s the J series?
We have both where I work. The 928G is a '98 I think and the 544J is about a year old. I load with them both quite a bit and plow snow with the 928. Overall I like the Deere MUCH better.
Deere IMO too:yup
There's someone who knows about this who should put in his insight... BTW, if you're buying new, you may want to look into the 930G. It's a great machine.
I would closely at your dealer support in your area. Then I'd look at the job at hand. I can't comment on the Deere because we hardly see them here but the 924G is an excellent machine for loading trucks, its fast and smooth. However, I found the fuel economy poor and the machine didn't dig well. More is posted here: If it was up to me I'd be off to the Volvo dealer for a close look.
Deere hands down.:bouncegri
I would check out the Komatsu WA250-5 series of hydrostatic loaders.
depending on your dealer I'd buy a Komatsu or Volvo. I rented a Volvo for snow one storm and man that was like running a Lincoln towncar smooth and nice, but the prices are pretty expensive I think a 3 yd. machine was like $140,000 but you get what you pay for and its probably around what you'd spend on a cat, komatsu, or deere
Thanks for all the info. I have had bad luck trying to buy cat machines down here. I had to go about two hundred miles to anoather dealership to buy my dozer. The Deere dealership cound not find any thing for me. The Deer manager calls me at least once a month just to see how things are going, and to see if I need any thing. I like that alot. I have never ran a Komatsu or been at one of their dealerships.
Woodstock: No one really answered your question earlier on the differences between the H and J series. There is quite a big difference between these two series in both productivity and reliability. I'll try to give a short list of differences: 1. Cooling package. The largest and most noticable difference between these two series. The J series has what Deere calls "Quad Cool". This cooling package arranges all of the coolers in a box configuration and allows each side of each cooler to be easily accessed for cleaning. The swing out fan is hydraulically driven and is proportional so it only turns as fast as it needs to. This saves on fuel and cuts down on noise. It can also be optioned with an automatic reversing function that reverses twice an hour to purge dirt and debris out of the cooling package. 2. Electrical System. The J series went to a solid state electrical system which eliminated a ton of relays in the machine. In conjunction with this solid state system Deere also went away from most of the rocker swithes in the cab and went to a sealed touch pad. This eliminated a bunch of unsealed connections that have the opportunity to corrode, short out and fail. 3. Monitor. The J series monitor is much more friendly to navigate and provides a lot more information as far as diagnostics. The J series does not require a laptop to perform diagnostic or service functions that were needed on the H series. For example in the event of a electrical short, it will show diagnostics codes that will tell the technician the fuse to be checked, the wires to be checked, the connector and pin location and the section and page number in the service manual where the wiring schematic is located. 4. The 544J has more HP than the 544H. The H was 130HP and the J is 160HP. The J is also much quieter. Since the engine compartment is separate from the cooling package it is sealed up and has a sound supression material to eliminate engine noise in the cab. These are the largest differences between the H and J series. There are more improvements that are less impactful, but these are the biggies. I hope this clears up the differences between these two series of loaders.
Thats a really good rundown on those models. I give it a :thumbsup
We have a john deere 444d wheel loader. It's great!
you notice that in the J series in the 544's.....they went back to the G model axle design? apparently the H series gave them a few fits
This is true only in the 2007 T-III models. When the 544J, 624J and 644J went T-III they also got a new axle that incorporated design aspects of both the G series axle and the early J series axle. The very first H series loaders had a few axle issues, but the later H's and J's have been pretty good and robust.
I have a 544h and having transmission issues. 1st problem started about 1 yr ago, i lost 3 and 4 speed, ran the machine like this no problem. Now will not stay in any speed. Starts then stops. Dash bd flashes trans falure. Do you have any suggestions. I am looking for a wiring diagram also. Thanks brent