Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Whats the diffrences between…

MetalDragon_boy ยท 2006-11-19 12:35

...Komatsu WA800 and WA900? I was looking through some brochures of Komatsus equipment the other day and I noticed that it is a VERY small diffrence between the WA800 and WA900 wheelloaders. The numbers are of standard machines. WA800-3 Operating Weight: 101,130kg (222,955lb) Horsepower: 603kW (808hp) Bucket Capacity: 11.0-12.2m3 (14.4-16.0yd3) Max Dump Height: 6785mm (22'3") WA900-3 Operating Weight: 102,880kg (226,810lb) Horsepower: 637kW (853hp) Bucket Capacity: 11.5-13.0m3 (15.0-17.0yd3) Max Dump Height: 6960 mm (22'10") Diffrences: I have written down how little the diffrences are so you can more easy see. Operating Weight: 1750kg (3855lb) Horsepower: 34kW (45hp) Bucket Capacity: 0.5-0.8m3 (0.6-1yd3) Max Dump Height: 175mm (6.8") Anyone knows if it is something else that makes these machines diffrent?

Replies28
  1. #1Wulf2006-11-19 16:58

    The loaders look very much the same but the capacities are different as you identified. Bit more HP, bucket capacity and the frame is reinforced and heavier on the WA900-3. The WA800-3 has a slight disadvantage in bucket capacity (and HP I think) to the Cat 992 and the WA900-3 has an advantage so its probably a strategic move to have the two machines similar.

  2. #2MetalDragon_boy2006-11-20 11:37

    Ahh thanks for your reply!

  3. #3Tigerotor77W2006-11-21 15:18

    I think Wulf hit it already. Some of the guys who have intimate knowledge of strategic model planning may have a better idea, but my assumption parallels Wulf's. Bracketing is a strategy that many manufacturers use, and I think it's something that Cat loses on when it comes to the WA800 and 900. The 800 is pretty much on-a-par with the 992D when it comes to production, so on a level playing field, the WA800 would be an ideal replacement for the 992D because of its increased performance. However, the 992G is a larger loader and is also a step up in production, so I think the WA900 comes in for the customer who is comparing the 992G and its competitors. In short, having a "lost-cost" option isn't all that much more expsensive for the manufacturer if done properly, but seems like it can increase sales in certain markets. The Cat 262B and 252B are a similar example. They only weigh 50 pounds different!

  4. #4Countryboy2006-11-21 18:45

    I think this is why Cat brought out the 991K. Trying to give more options.

  5. #5Hullabaloo2007-03-20 11:28

    991k? Countryboy, What are you hearing about the 991K? My Cat dealer isn't saying much.

  6. #6farm_boy2007-03-20 18:41

    Yes....Tiger & Activeorpassive....please fill us in

  7. #7Countryboy2007-03-20 20:10

    First off, Welcome to HEF Hullabaloo! :drinkup Second off, there is very little that I can say about it. I will say that there is atleast one that has been produced and that I have seen it loading haul trucks. Where? :wink2 , When?, How?......you'll have to fill in the blanks yourself. Pretty vague huh. What can I say, its a secretive business. Farmboy, I think their lips are gonna be sealed too.....:Cowboy

  8. #8Lashlander2007-03-20 20:33

    I'm wonderin when that camera is gonna show up?

  9. #9Countryboy2007-03-20 20:39

    We might could work something out there but I would have to learn how to anonymously post pics.

  10. #10JDOFMEMI2007-03-20 20:55

    You could always e-mail them to me and I could post them anonymously :cool2

  11. #11Lashlander2007-03-20 21:08

    Me too. We could post them anonymously simultaneously. :exactly

  12. #12Countryboy2007-03-20 21:10

    Yeah but then we are back to the "I need a camera" problem.

  13. #13Lashlander2007-03-20 21:16

    I can wait, the 26th wasn't it? opcorn

  14. #14Countryboy2007-03-20 21:45

    Until then, we can always look at a pic of the 3 that we know about.......

  15. #15Lashlander2007-03-20 22:07

    What going on in this pic? Do you get so many looky loos you had to build a grand stand?

  16. #16Countryboy2007-03-20 22:48

    Naw, thats just a picture I found on the internet. Its that same trio we have though. :cool2 It would be a much nicer picture if the gap between the 992 and the 990 was filled though wouldn't it........

  17. #17Lashlander2007-03-20 23:16

    I'm thinking it might be but having a little trouble getting confirmation. I'm working on it though! :usa

  18. #18Countryboy2007-03-21 03:32

    Just to prove that I'm not making this up, heres a release from "Cat UK" that breifly mentions the unspeakable. Hmmm......maybe it will be in the US sometime soon........ Cat 991K to be shown at Bauma 2007.

  19. #19Countryboy2007-03-21 03:53

    Don't really know what this is but it mentions the team that designed the bucket for the 991K. :beatsme Bucket Design

  20. #20Tigerotor77W2007-03-21 11:59

    It's the 988G, 990F II, and 992G at Tinaja Hills Training Center in Arizona. Countryboy, thanks for removing the heat... I can't say anything, either (though I don't know that much; I haven't worked with loaders directly). I'm not pleased that the project information was on the internet -- it's a little late now to do anything, but that was online early enough to violate Cat's confidentiality agreements quite a bit.

  21. #21Countryboy2007-03-21 21:30

    It was suprisingly easy to find. All I did was type in "991K loader" into yahoo and found both of those sites. I hope Tigerotor has explained the "mums the word" rule well enough. I know plenty but I got to follow the rules too. Are you familiar with the second site Tiger? Or were you speaking of the Cat UK site about the early release?

  22. #22alco2007-03-22 02:25

    Not to try and hijack this thread, but from what I have been told the 988 will stay with the monoboom. Does anyone know if this is true or not? We are looking to replace an older 988F and if it has the monoboom, I think the 988 will be ruled out since it would more than likely not stand up to the stresses we impose on the boom handling 100 foot 30" pipes. As it is, we can flex the twin arms to the point that the ends of the pipe will touch the ground when the grapple is above the cab. I can only imagine how fast we would twist apart one of the monobooms. Brian

  23. #23lars2007-03-22 10:51

    Sorry to hijack the thread - I was looking at Cat's wheel loader page and saw the claim "Caterpillar builds a complete line of wheel loaders, including the world's largest 994D," at the top of the page. By my count the 994 is 7th in the world behind the LeTorneau L-2350, 1850, 1800, 1400 1350 and Komatsu WA-1200. The L-2350 has twice the bucket capacity of the 994. Cat, I'm calling you out on this one - the little 994 should step aside.

  24. #24Tigerotor77W2007-03-22 11:36

    You are right on this one. When they wrote it, it was the world's largest *mechanical* drive loader, but the Komatsu has since taken that title. I agree that it was easy to find. (I'm referring to the university site here.) I suppose that there isn't much information online, which is good, but given that students aren't typically afraid to explain their projects in fair detail (screenshots included), the cop in me says "Beware!" The Cat UK site is actually Cat Corporate Public Affairs business, so if they deem it apt for public dissemination, no amount of product group booing will take it down. (Okay, maybe enough of it will, but probably not complaining by one or two individuals.) I've come across on this comment as a bit tight-wadded, which wasn't the impression. I'd give you all teddy bears, but that probably wouldn't help.

  25. #25CEwriter2007-03-22 11:51

    OK, so I'm going to Bauma next month and might just be persuaded to spend some time in the Caterpillar booth. Of course, by then the specs and the usual PR photos will be public information. 'Course I'll probably be able to talk with a product manager on the design team, and with my trusty camera, I might be able to get some more-useful images. What, specifically, do you want to know about the 991K, what do you want to see, and how much is it worth to you? :cool2 Larry

  26. #26Tigerotor77W2007-03-22 11:59

    If the guy there is the large wheel loader (988-994) marketing manager, will you say "hi" to him for me? He knows both me and Patty Maroder. (I don't know if you worked with her...)

  27. #27CEwriter2007-03-22 12:15

    I know Patty very well. Miss her already. Forgive me: I know who you are, but can't recall your name. Please PM me if you don't want to put a name on the board. Larry

  28. #28Tigerotor77W2007-03-22 13:05

    No worries; I'm Xing. Have fun at Bauma!