Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 928g steering column question

Mobilewrench ยท 2024-12-10 20:27

Serial # 6XR02266 Have a machine in my yard today for some work on the park brake. I noticed that the steering column would not lock in place. I took the cover off expecting to find a spring and gear system. But it has a gas spring. From what I can see of it, it looks like the tilt lever just opens a valve in the rod end of the gas spring. And when the valve is closed it locks the column from moving up or down. In three or four positions I can get it to lock in and not go down, but it is still free to go up. I should have a couple of pictures to add in a bit. Am I right about how it is supposed to work?

Replies4
  1. #1Mobilewrench2024-12-10 20:29
  2. #2Mobilewrench2024-12-10 20:53
  3. #3Mobilewrench2024-12-10 20:55

    Sorry about taking a pic of a phone screen with another phone. I couldn't figure out how to convert it to a file type that the forum would accept.

  4. #4Nige2024-12-10 21:15

    Attached a few snippets from the O&M Manual that may be of some use.