Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 930G Wheel Spacers

Lane Friesen ยท 2021-07-20 19:05

Does anyone know if it's possible to space wheels out on a 930G and if cat has any sort of options for that? I was told once that Cat had an option for that, something to do with machines used on the railroad. This machine is a high lift with a 5.0 yard bucket so gets quite unstable when lifted very high.

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2021-07-20 20:35

    5.0cu.yd. is an awful big bucket for a 930, it's supposedly only for woodchips. Out of interest how much does the material you're lifting weigh loose/cu yd.? The largest "light material" bucket listed for that machine is 2.8 cu.yd. Does it have the larger optional 20.5R25 tyres fitted or the standard 17.5R25.? Does it by chance have bias-ply tyres installed instead of radials.? A Serial Number would help to see how it was specced when it was originally built.

  2. #2Lane Friesen2021-07-20 20:57

    Ya I know my bucket is to big for my machine I'm loading compost, runs around 1100 lbs/cu ft. It has firestone super ground grip 20.5-25. Those are bias ply I believe. Serial # is CAT0930GLTWR03195. Thanks!

  3. #3Nige2021-07-20 21:33

    Bias-ply tyres will actually give you less rock & roll with the bucket at full height than radials will. TWR03195 was originally equipped with 20.5R25 radials ex-factory, so it has the correct width of rims for 20.5 size tyres. I can't see any information regarding spacers to widen the wheel track. Is the bucket rated 5 cu.yd. or 5 cu.m.? Does it have a Part Number on the plate located in the top RH corner at the back side of the bucket.?

  4. #4Lane Friesen2021-07-20 21:44

    Ya I'm pretty sure its 5 cu. yd. It is not an original bucket. It was on a 950 originally. Can't hardly make out the part # but look like 3WL41729 or possibly 3WL44729. What would be potential problems with having spacers machined. Was thinking 4-5" on each side.

  5. #5Nige2021-07-21 11:30

    Try posting a photo of the data plate from the bucket. If it originally came from a 950 then obviously it won't appear under the parts listing for your 930G. Does the loader have a quick-coupler.? Unless you change work tools regularly the QC is simply dead weight that you're lugging around all the time. Well a couple I can think of right off the bat are additional strain on wheel studs/bolts, increased load on wheel bearings, and probably increased strain on the machine chassis. I don't know how high on your priority list safety is, but by overloading the machine as you imply that you are doing is likely to take both the braking & steering systems beyond their certified limits based on the maximum permitted weight of machine + payload. If anything bad was to happen you could be potentially laying yourself open to a world of hurt in a legal sense.

  6. #6kshansen2021-07-21 11:37

    Also if I can chime in here do you have the S/N off the 950 it was on?